Possible to repair di2 9070 cable?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jever98

by jever98

Hi guys,

couldn't find anything on the search: is it possible to repair a torn 9070 di2 cable? My cable from the left TT handlebar shifter to the junction box got shorn off during transport. It seems the cable doesnt plug into the shifter, but is directly attached.

Any experience and guidance is appreciated.

Best
Nicolas
----
No longer in the industry

madonna

by madonna

jever98 wrote:Hi guys,

couldn't find anything on the search: is it possible to repair a torn 9070 di2 cable? My cable from the left TT handlebar shifter to the junction box got shorn off during transport. It seems the cable doesnt plug into the shifter, but is directly attached.

Any experience and guidance is appreciated.

Best
Nicolas

I am an engineer. And this should not be an issue if u have a soldering iron.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

It'll be tricky they engineered the e-tube wires to be hard to splice in order to stop people from messing with them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

2old4this

by 2old4this

Not difficult at all. Though admittedly the wires are very thin. Do the soldering under a magnifier and do it quickly.

jever98

by jever98

Thanks to you all! There are 2 wires in the e-tubes, right?

If I can't get my hand on soldering equipment (am on the road) - is it possible to connect a new cable at the brake?

Best
Nicolas
----
No longer in the industry

notaero

by notaero

I used the more expensive/flexible heat shrink. Have two small pieces to go over the induvidual wires, then use a slightly larger piece to go over the two wires & seal the joint. The new joint will not be anywhere near as flexible as the standard wires, so consider where your bends are when you go to splice things.

I've run 6770 through my p4 without drilling out any holes, made custom length wires and ridden it to the death in rain without issue, so it's very possible, but if not handy with the soldiering iron, have an electrically inclined friend show you the ropes for the first few.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com