Adjusting SRAM Red Yaw Front & Rear Derailleurs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Got the RD tuned as well. Damn, that took 3 days of messing around, but now I feel confident that I know how to tune these damn things again. numberSix, your tips are priceless. Thanks again. For anyone curious, here is what I did to get the RD tuned to shift great across all the gears.

Note: I routed the cables from the top of the shifters, to the back of the bars. I feel that this had a lot to do with my success.

- With the cable disconnected, and the RD on the smallest cog, adjust the H limit screw so that the pulley teeth are 1mm outboard of the cog.

- Push the RD all the in with your hand and adjust the L limit screw so that the pulley teeth are centered with the teeth largest cog.

- Move the RD back down to the smallest cog, turn the barrel adjuster clockwise all the way, make sure the lever is shifted to the smallest gear, and connect the cable.

- Shift up to the 5th cog and turn the barrel adjuster counter-clockwise until the pulley teeth are centered with the cog teeth.

- Shift up to the largest cog and turn the barrel adjuster counter-clockwise until the pulley teeth are centered with the cog teeth. Adjust the L limit screw for fine tuning.

- Shift down to the smallest cog and make sure the pulley teeth are 1mm outboard of the cog. If not, turn the barrel adjuster clockwise one click at a time to fine tune. Also adjust the H limit screw for additional fine tuning.

numberSix

by numberSix

Glad to help. The cable routing issue was taught to me by the LBS mechanic. I thought the cable bump would be an annoyance but I don't notice it and the shifting is better. Way less cable drag.

The rest of the procedure is pretty much taken from Shimano instructions.

Now you have it down and understand the Why behind it all your next build will be easy.

Best Wishes,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks man. I do feel more confident about it now. After the few rides now, the shifting feels great, but with the RD I do get noise when shifting into the larger gears and I have to tap the shifter to get ride of it. Sounds like the chain is not filling engaging the cog. Not shift if it's how I'm pressing the lever or RD needs adjusting. No issue when shifting from large to small.