Deda Superleggera Bars; flexy.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

So, when I am not spending hours on end, doing the engineering research on behalf of bicycle companies who don't seem to be able to do it for themselves, I do go on the odd bike ride.

I bought some Deda Superleggera bars last year and have been riding them for about 6 months or so.

Well, I wanted to know if anyone else has these bars and can confirm my own experiences with them.

Basically, they are flexible as a b@stard, when sprinting in the drops.

I previously had a set of Deda Zero100s which compared to these new ones, were super stiff.

I guess this is me saying I am disappointed in them; has anyone else found them overly flexible in the drops?

EDIT; oops, posted this it the wrong sub-forum, sorry!

mattr

by mattr

Is it the 4000W sprint thats doing it?

I'd suggest a solid bar, bent to shape. ;o)

(And no, i've not used the Superleggeras, but i do like the Zero 100)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Haha.

Well, I am comparing the Superleggera flex to the Zero100. The Superleggera bars are carbon, and the Zer100 are aluminium... The Superleggera are my first carbon bars, so I am wondering if this might just be what carbon bars are like, or if these particular bars are particularly flexible(?)

TimW

by TimW

I think others have posted about this in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106698

I also found Deda Presa bars also a little flexy in the drops (and I am not a power monster). Definately not the case for all carbon bars. The 3T Egosomethings I have now seem very rigid/harsh (and as a bonus have a horrible shape forcing your elbows out and putting your shifters at a funny angle). I'd think I'd take the Presa (again) and maybe even the Superlegarro in retrospect.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I felt flex tonight in them but I don't think it is a problem.

spytech

by spytech

I have the 35's superleggera and i cant feel too much flex, but i can see the bars move when i get off the bike and give it a push/pull. so i can only imagine the regular (31.6) superleggera has more flex as they are about 3.5mm less in diameter.

i got the 35's because of the way they feel with the bars fully wrapped, i like the bigger top portion of the bars... i just went with superleggera because i thought they would be stiff enough as they are 35's, but i think the regular 31.6 would feel a bit flexy (i assume).

Dov

by Dov

The flex is fine. The real problem with these bars is the internal cable routing.

If you set the bars to a normal pitch (drops level to ground) the cable routing ends up with a massive kink in it if you run the cables through the bars. It makes your shifting/braking compromised and adds a swell to the outside of the hood which is uncomfortable. I'm using DA7900

Verdict: Avoid these handlebars on the basis they are poorly designed.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've always found the Zero100 most comfortable with the tops flat (rather than the drops). I've always thought short reach compact bars like these look right that way so it would be interesting to know if Deda have designed the cable routing to work with the bars rotated up from where you have them Dov.

Either way the Zero100 are great so I'll be sticking with them :wink: .

Franklin

by Franklin

I'd say condor is right, RHM bars should be adjusted tops level, not drops level. And I find them super comfortable.

So your verdict of being poory designed is just incorrect. They might not fit you, they sure fit a lot of other people.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

Franklin wrote:I'd say condor is right, RHM bars should be adjusted tops level, not drops level. And I find them super comfortable.

"Should" be? When I first got my Zero100 bars, I also thought they "looked" right with the tops/ramps flat. However, the drops felt all wrong, and the oval shape of the tops pointed diagonally upward. When I set them up with drops level, they felt much better in the drops and the oval tops were level as well.

It's all personal preference.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If your expensive crankset is flexy then that is worth getting worked up about. But handlebars? That's a bit like complaining that your saddle is too soft.

Dov

by Dov

What are you guys on about? With the drops level the tops are level too.

The problem is that the cable entry holes are too far outboard to not introduce a kink in the cable. The only way to make the cable run clean is to mount then very far forward in an unusable position.

Even if they were designed to be used with flat tops, the design is poor due to its obvious limitations.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Hi guys,

Sorry for dragging up a old thread, I'm having my first pop at changing the inner and outer cables with these bars and wondered if anyone else had experienced problems with the internal routing?! Ie making the shifting stiff due to the bend in the outer cable?

Any tips mucho appreciate'o

;)