Why buy a Baum Cubano and not a Ristretto ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I am interested in buying my "last" bike. 2 years rainsing first child, 1 more coming next month ... I think that with all the work going in Daddy needs a new toy to play When he has the time :)

Already have a carbon bike, got a mordern build Colnago Super and I really like how comfortable steel is.

Inteded use is club rides, some amateur racing to prove the locals Carbon is not everything and 200-300 km audaxes with friends for the fun of it.

Since there is a considerable difference in price between Baum Cubano and Ristretto, is it really justified or a Ristretto will do the job ?

Any idea on a size 58-59 weight for the offered by baum Frame/Fork/Stem/Seatpost ?

Thanx

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bogan

by Bogan

Causidicus wrote:The Cubano has zero resale value compared to the Ristretto which has near zero resale value.

Don't see this as a particularly useful response or are you looking to flame. The OP I believe is trying to find out if the price difference gets a much better frame. I hope you now comprehend.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Kupepe

by Kupepe

True :)

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rush

by Rush

Are you confusing the Ristretto to the Coretto? The Ristretto is a steel model.

The Cubano and Corretto have an identical front triangle. The difference with the Coretto is the chainstay design. It takes a lot longer to fabricate them which is why its more expensive.

From the website it seems the Ristretto has the same chainstay design.

Re : 2nd hand Baums...I've only ever seen two for sale. I know someone on this forum who was happy with one but returned another one. In contrast to Causidicus, every owner I've met personally likes their bike. A lady around the corner from me has two, an old steel travel frame (with frame couplings) and a Coretto.

mjduct

by mjduct

Depends whether you want titanium or steel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rush

by Rush

Out of interest, compare the Cervolo chainstay design to the Baum
ImageImage

DiscoBoy

by DiscoBoy

Have you considered titanium?

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

DiscoBoy wrote:Have you considered titanium?
The Cubano is Titanium!

A work colleague is having a Ristretto built right now. Having spoken at length with Darren, the Ristretto (steel with stainless back end in the Corretto style) and Cubano (ti) can be made to ride almost identically, the Cubano will be just a touch lighter. The Ristretto will have the "feel of steel", while the Cubano may have a touch more of that Ti comfort, but not masses of difference in it. The Cubano will have better corrosion resistance but personally I prefer the Corretto/Ristretto back end.

In summary, not masses in it, but if in doubt have a chat with them for their advice ref your weight/riding style/expectations.

The Cubano has zero resale value compared to the Ristretto which has near zero resale value.
I am interested in buying my "last" bike
Like my Pegoretti, I'm guessing resale value is of little to no importance.

Rush

by Rush

What sort of person sells a bike in the first place?

ryan0380

by ryan0380

If it's your 'last' bike go for ti or stainless. If it's your last bike resale value shouldn't be a factor

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If it was my last bike I'd buy a Firefly or Mosaic...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com