Replacement Campag chainring bolts - for Athena PT 11S

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewis

by Lewis

As above please. Not sure if any of you will remember but I had an issue with my crankset 'clicking' which transpired to be caused by my chain ring bolts working loose. God knows how they did. New bike new crankset - anyway. I since tightened them up but clicking not gone. I'm thinking they need to be replaced. Already tried greasing them and re torquing. Can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them though. Any ideas?

Ps. Creaking isn't pedals as tried swapping them, don't think it's the bb itself either. Also greased and tightened wheel skewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Causidicus

by Causidicus

If they aren't damaged or cracked (they are pretty soft), hold torque, don't loosen and every bolt, surface and thread is clean and greased then I'd be looking elsewhere. 8Nm is pretty high so when all are tight it's difficult to see how you can still have a problem there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

What type/make rear wheel skewer? have you tried a steel internal cam Shimano/Campag type skewer, many 'crankset clicking' noises are caused by lightweight Ti skewers.

Lewis

by Lewis

I have mavic wheels and the skewers that came with them. I am sure it's the chain ring as I can replicate it by pushing it with my thumb sometimes. I think it's caused by the fact there is slight play between the bolts and the rings. Anything alloy like that unless completely tight will creak loudly if tolerances are increased due to wear.

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Try torquing them to the correct value. If you can move it with your thumb it's obviously not tight enough.

Lewis

by Lewis

Causidicus wrote:Try torquing them to the correct value. If you can move it with your thumb it's obviously not tight enough.

I've done that. They don't 'move' per se but the tolerance must've somehow increased while they were loose causing damage to them. It's tricky to explain.

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

BRM

by BRM

Lewis wrote:As above please. Not sure if any of you will remember but I had an issue with my crankset 'clicking' which transpired to be caused by my chain ring bolts working loose. God knows how they did. New bike new crankset - anyway. I since tightened them up but clicking not gone. I'm thinking they need to be replaced. Already tried greasing them and re torquing. Can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them though. Any ideas?

Ps. Creaking isn't pedals as tried swapping them, don't think it's the bb itself either. Also greased and tightened wheel skewers.

Are you definitely sure the bolts are the cause?
Kmc chain I saw you writing. Checked the chain and the missing link?
To figure out better: Place your bike in a trainer (indoors) and let a friend try to find the source of the sound while youre biking.

You didnt mention:
- if you have standard Campa chainrings
- if youre looking to standard Campa bolts
- color
- the country you live in

There are plenty of webshops that delivers also ebay and amazon I think, but also every Campa dealer can provide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com