Di2 read derailleur damaged

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sambaverde

by sambaverde

Hi all

Anybody here with experience to a damageed read derailleur RD-9070?
Had a small crash last year with it, some scratches on the housine but it kept running for more than 1000km.
then, in the middle of a long track it suddenly stopped moving. I could even move the derailleur by hand to every position.

cable unplug/replug, reset of the main unit, battery disconnect,... tried it all. Its not moving any more
whats strange, when I shake it, it sometimes keeps loose so i can move it by hand, sometimes it is stable. But as soon as i then connect the cable it reopens the clutch? again.
As I understood, this unit has a special mechanical protection implementet that should prevent it from getting damaged in case of a crash and external force to it.

Now, it seems this mechanical proctection (clutch?!) is damaged because its not closing any more.

I went to my dealer but the quick answer was, cratches on the surface!!! no warranty.....
Shimano gives 3years of warranty and features mechanical protection, so whats the warranty for then?!?!

any feedback, ideas?

Martin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

It's not a manufacturing fault hence no warranty. Not rocket science is it?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Replace it. You broke it.
You could try the reset function. Put it in a work stand and while pedalling hold the button down on the front jb. It should move the rd through its range to reset the clutch. As well, you can get the pce diagnostic box and use that to diagnose it. But my guess is that you broke it.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Time to take it apart and see what makes it tick. Maybe you can fix it. Maybe you will break it. You can only gain from here since it's already broken and you have to buy another one anyway.

sambaverde

by sambaverde

correct but thats what the instruction manual says:

"Protection function * Rotate the front chainwheel while restoring operation after the protection function has been activated. If the bicycle receives a strong impact, the protection function operates and the connection between the motor and the link is momentarily severed so that the rear derailleur will no longer operate. This is done in order to protect the system at times such as if the bicycle falls over. If this happens, press the rear derailleur adjustment button on junction (A) of the SM-EW67-A-E for 5 seconds or more. This will restore the connection between the motor and the link and clear the protection function for the rear derailleur. If the connection is not restored, push/pull the cage sideways or move it forward and backward by hand. Operate the shifting switches to check that the connection has been restored"

sambaverde

by sambaverde

already bought a new one, for 600€.....
Whats strange, comared to other stuff you can buy.... it seems Shimano has no service center behind.

Most stuff you can sent to repair. Its not a 20€ component, come on!! this is shimano's service setup?

I will now open it and check whats damaged but.... I could not figure out whom to contact to order this damaged part.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Shimano has very little service parts. Campagnolo does make individual parts, but are sold at steep price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Don't you got an insurance?