Removing Faceplate from Di2 "Climbing" Shifter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carrots

by Carrots

Looks less clunky from a functionality view point, and with the surround on it may not mount nor fit into that spot so easily.

AGW

by AGW

J-Rod's setup et al is where it's at.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Anyone got any thoughts on what sort of buttons SKY glued on top of the climbing shifter internals? I've stripped down a couple of these for various projects (TT bike, etc) but can't find an appropriate set of buttons).

showdown

by showdown

You might find some buttons that work for you at an electronics store like mouser.com

Came across this post while wasting time at work the other day: http://benmanson.com/review/di2/di2buttons.htm

I purchased some of the buttons (they cost like $.50 each, have great action and they're tiny!) and am in the process of casting a silicone housing for them. Eventually I'll mount the button assembly on my bars and my guess is that it should be approx. 3/4" wide x 1/2" tall and maybe 3/16" deep... Certainly smaller than anything I can buy. I don't ride/race with gloves so there's no problem with feel but I would suspect that if you did this might be an issue.

Alternatively, if you seal up the solder connections well with silicone, as the buttons are waterproof they could simply be mounted with strong double-sided tape to the bars and at 6mm x 6mm it's probably the smallest solution you'll find.

You could also splice these into the sprinter switches and then mount them somewhere accessible when climbing on the top of the bar and mimmic the functionality of the sprint switches (one on each side controlling one shifting direction). Hell, you could splice them in all over the place and have dozens of buttons all over!

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

That's great but I don't want to splice. There's no need for it. I simply want some buttons to place on top (like SKY do) of the existing climbing buttons (minus housing).
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Pokerface07 wrote:That's great but I don't want to splice. There's no need for it. I simply want some buttons to place on top (like SKY do) of the existing climbing buttons (minus housing).

Have you found buttons that will work? Just took the housing off mine bc it felt way to big and bulky but the button pads are a little recessed so I need something to glue on top of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406309153.168887.jpg

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I just left it bare (like in your photo). Works fine for me - although a small button would be preferred.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I've just ordered some small black rubber cabinet bumpers, we'll see how they turn out. I'd love to know what Sky is using on theirs.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Sky would have to be running something that Shimano made up for them in factory, since as we know the UCI don't allow modification of any parts..... ;)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the stock Shimano buttons and I love them. They look bulky but they are very lightweight. Even with the large buttons I have occasionally pushed the wrong buttons (when I'm in a misery of pain and suffering). So the buttons are large for a reason! Personally I cannot see much value in trying to reduce the size as the modified version wouldn't be as functional as the original unit.