New TT bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

msl1985

by msl1985

Hi guys

I have started my search for a new time trial bike.

I have tried a lot of bikes:
- Giant Trinity advanced sl
- Trek speed concept
- Canyon speedmax cf
- Cannondale slice rs

But everytime i find to many brake issues or similar problems. Now i Want a bike without integrated brakes or at least front brake.

I have been looking at the new Cervelo P3 2014 or a Felt DAC.

Anyone who has experience about these bikes or other suggestions for a great frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

If the stack height is right for you the P3 is quite hard to go past.
DA can be a bit of a pain if you can't get hold of the correct stem.
Scott Plasma Premium is fast and uses normal calipers.
They're all nice bikes, just make sure you get something that suits your position and possibly allows position changes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What size P3 are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

Hi,

I have Pm'd you with the contact details for Mark Stemmy of Optimized Cycling Solutions. He can probably hook you up with custom made at a great price.
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

brearley

by brearley

Lapierre? Lovely looking and not that common. Look have a rather nice looking frameset also.

audiojan

by audiojan

I assume you're looking at a TT bike to gain speed… the reason why you ALWAYS start with fit is that the rider accounts for the vast majority of the drag, hence that's what you want to maximize. You will be significantly faster on a well fitting round tube bike than on an ill-fitting super TT bike. Start off with your body position and then buy the best possible bike that fits YOU.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Current Felt tt frame set should come with a plethora of stems for fit and can accommodate a pretty wide range of fits and personal preferences on the front end as well as zero and offset post offerings. Ill put my vote in for the DAC.
Just ride ..

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

audiojan wrote:Start off with your body position and then buy the best possible bike that fits YOU.

This sort of advice seems sensible... but isn't when you think about it.

Bikes are quite adjustable via stem, risers, seatpost, and saddle.

More importantly, if you are optimizing for speed, then you will need to do a lot of experimenting to find the optimum position. "Getting a fit" is pretty much a joke unless you are doing aero testing at the same time... or at the very least you are getting fit by someone who has done aero testing on a lot of people and has a good eye for what usually works.

The most important consideration is if the stack is so high that you won't be able to get the front end low enough. Otherwise, most frames should be able to accommodate your coordinates so long as you are in the ballpark on size.
formerly rruff...

Zoro

by Zoro

@WMW - I agree. For my kid we just started with what we thought was the best TT position - narrow grip, flat back, and elbow bend. Pretty much found we could duplicate that position on a number of bikes. I took a bike, set it to the UCI limits and adjusted from there. The bar extensions, stem height, seat height need to be adjusted, but most frames we looked at would work.
The Felt DA2 we finally arrived at (good price) doesn't allow the rear wheel as forward as I'd like. I would like it, when slammed all the way in the dropouts to hit the seat tube. As is there is about a 1cm gap with 20mm profile tyres.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I have been a huge fan of my bmc tm01. The adjustability of the front end is genius. I had a p3c in the past and currently also have an Argon E118. It takes a LONG time to build properly, but is a very clean setup. On par with the shiv &speedconcept in my book.

grid256

by grid256

It's not very adjustable, but the Shiv TT is a fantastic bike that's very easy to work on and the brakes actually work. I've gone back to one after a short affair with a P5 that drove me nuts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

Love my Scott Plasma 3 TT. Should be able to pick one up fairly cheap as the Plasma 4 and 5 are coming.