Shimano RS81 C24 Carbon vs. Shimano Ultegra RS81 24 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

anthonyc20

by anthonyc20

I was looking at the two sets of wheels above, are there any differences between the two? I provided the links below, they are virtually the same price and have similar descriptions but wanted to know if there are any true differences. Also does anyone have any opinion on these wheels? How would they match up with Reynolds solitudes. Thank you very much!

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-wheels/shimano-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-clincher-wheelset/10863919.html

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-wheels/shimano-ultegra-rs81-c24-clincher-wheelset/10791375.html

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That photo in the ad looks like the C35......much too deep to be the C24. I would give them a ring and try to sort it out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

is 1 tubeless compatible?
Official cafe stop tester

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

No, neither of the wheels is tubeless compatible. They look to be the same wheel (same MSRP, just different sale prices).

anthonyc20

by anthonyc20

anyone know anything about the wheels themselves?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The C24s are nice wheels.....same rim as the DA9000 C24, but with an Ultegra hub. Really good wheels though....I had a set and I rue the day I sold them.

anthonyc20

by anthonyc20

Thank you very much for the help guys, I reached out to the seller lets see what they say.

DMF

by DMF

They are not the same rims. Full carbon vs carbon laminate. On the "rim portion" of the rim that is, alloy brake tracks on both ofcourse, but the Ultegras are carbon over alloy for the rest of the rim too as far as I know. So there is a weight penalty at the rim too...

showdown

by showdown

I have a set of the RS81 C24 wheels. I've had them since the spring and put plenty of miles on them on various roads and in various conditions. Thus far I have been very happy with them- they're great wheels, solid on all shoddy surfaces and over potholes, plenty stiff and very well built with Shimano's reputation of amazing hubs. They are not the lightest wheels and I loathe putting them on the bike on Monday after racing my Cosmic Carbone Ultimates but otherwise i'm very satisfied. They're still true and round after beating the hell out of them on roads that wen through our last brutal winter here in Chicago.

For an every day wheel these are probably one of the best buys you can get but they're a bit too heavy to be high performance race wheels. Sometimes it's a bummer to show up on group rides and be surrounded by Lightweights but it's always rewarding to gap those guys off ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

DMF wrote:They are not the same rims. Full carbon vs carbon laminate. On the "rim portion" of the rim that is, alloy brake tracks on both ofcourse, but the Ultegras are carbon over alloy for the rest of the rim too as far as I know. So there is a weight penalty at the rim too...

the 9000 C24 clincher wheels have a hybrid carbon/aluminum rim. You are thinking off the tubular version. :wink:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk