Consensus on alternative Campy cranksets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexaqui

by alexaqui

For those of you who have switched from Campy cranks to alternatives on a campy 11 speed setup, such as the Rotor 3d/3d+, what has been your shifting experience? I currently am rebuilding a TT bike and see that there are a few reconditioned SRMs available, mostly from Rotor. After searching this forum and other sites, I am not 100% convinced that the shifting performance will be acceptable. The Rotor 3D SRM will come with round Rotor rings, which supposedly are campy-compatible. I am considering purchasing Praxis Works rings that seem to have better reviews. Am I going to regret going with the Rotor vs. moving my Campy SRM around every time?

Thanks.

Irish

by Irish

If it's a TT bike will you really be shifting the front that much?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexaqui

by alexaqui

It is a good point. I live in a very hilly area, so any training on the bike will require a fair bit of shifting in the front. For racing, probably only a little bit for the larger climbs.

TimW

by TimW

I run Campagnolo record 11 with a rotor 3d+ and Rotor (no-q) round rings. It works fine. In fact I'm probably going to do the same again on my other bike rather than use a Campagnolo power2max.

mjduct

by mjduct

I had a hair of mid shifting with a rotor 3d+ (round rings and praxis rings) combined with a super record group but the big issue was probably chain line with the BBRight bottom bracket. Now it sports a campy over torque crank with spacers to get the chain line just right. (BBRight is 79 cm, mm overtorque is 86mm wide which leaves a little bit of play room for optimal alignment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Which bottom bracket type does the frame have?

audiojan

by audiojan

I've used Record cranks with Record rings, Record with Q-rings, Quarq Elsa with SRAM Red rings and Quarq Elsa with Q-rings. There's never been an issue with Campy Record EPS 11… everything shifts just fine once set up correctly.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

alexaqui

by alexaqui

Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like there should be no problems. This is for an older Cervelo P3 with a "standard" BSA bb. Currently I have ultra-torque cups which will be swapped out for the appropriate bb for a rotor 3d arm if I go this route.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I changed from record 11 crank to rotor 3D+ with Praxis chainrings and Power2Max and think front shifting had improved. It's quicker and more direct and even only by a little but still noticeable in my case.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexaqui

by alexaqui

The q-factor on the Rotor 3d (24mm spindle) and the Campy crank appear to be the same (e.g., 145mm). Is that correct?

The campy SRM is a bit of a pain to get on and off with the clip. I agree, not that hard, just takes a few extra minutes to get the bike setup.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

If you notice the 1.5mm then something is wrong....
Using Tapatalk

mjduct

by mjduct

Or you can pass the process test with a pea under 10 mattresses :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Causidicus

by Causidicus

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com