Campagnolo Over Torque crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nismosr

by nismosr

any one here tried the Campagnolo over torque crankset on a 68mm english threaded bottom bracket does any know if the length of the 30mm the same with the THM or Zipp vuma quad crank.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I have the crankset and the BB yet to get the frame though to try it. I doubt there will be much compatibility though. Have you ever known campagnolo to bother to make there kit compatible with anyone elses by design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

bm , what kind a bb will this be going to ? my guess is if the length of the spindle on the over torque the same as the THM or Vuma quad which both have 30mm spindle, the zipp will work if you put them on a threaded frame bottom bracket. would you mind measuring the spindle length of the over torque that you have from bottom to tip with picture ?

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

nismosr - what are you actually trying to do?

68mm shells are 68 mm-ish, Campag's tolerance is the same as Shimano and SRAM, +/-0.8 mm so given cups and BB, the crankset will fit.

If you are looking at using Overtorque threaded cups with Vuma or THM, you may see a couple of issues - taking up any inaccuracy in the BB shell width is one, as Campagnolo use a threaded expander for this job in OT and that may and may not work with the cranks that you mention (there needs to be a flat interface available on the back of the crank), plus if there is differential in axle length (possible but not that likely as OT works fine with a bog standard BB30, BB386 and BB30 PF frame, using it's own cups), the amount of adjustment in the threaded expander may not be enough.

Campagnolo kit is generally compatible with other manufacturers to the same limits as other makers are cross-compatible (or indeed car manufacturers, or hi-fi makers or flat pack furniture makers or any number of other things you could name are). The problem always comes, regardless of whose kit you look at, when you try to do things that are outside of the manufacturers range of tolerance or expectation. It's not a question of "bothering" ... it's about some pretty basic engineering concepts and how different makers choose to address the competing demands of USP, price point, material, costs and durability.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

nismosr

by nismosr

graeme_f_k wrote:nismosr - what are you actually trying to do?

68mm shells are 68 mm-ish, Campag's tolerance is the same as Shimano and SRAM, +/-0.8 mm so given cups and BB, the crankset will fit.

If you are looking at using Overtorque threaded cups with Vuma or THM, you may see a couple of issues - taking up any inaccuracy in the BB shell width is one, as Campagnolo use a threaded expander for this job in OT and that may and may not work with the cranks that you mention (there needs to be a flat interface available on the back of the crank), plus if there is differential in axle length (possible but not that likely as OT works fine with a bog standard BB30, BB386 and BB30 PF frame, using it's own cups), the amount of adjustment in the threaded expander may not be enough.

Campagnolo kit is generally compatible with other manufacturers to the same limits as other makers are cross-compatible (or indeed car manufacturers, or hi-fi makers or flat pack furniture makers or any number of other things you could name are). The problem always comes, regardless of whose kit you look at, when you try to do things that are outside of the manufacturers range of tolerance or expectation. It's not a question of "bothering" ... it's about some pretty basic engineering concepts and how different makers choose to address the competing demands of USP, price point, material, costs and durability.

I wanted to get the OT crank for a threaded BB frameset but since campy I think does not carry a threaded English BB for OT, I'm looking at other alternative solution like using different brand BB that uses 30mm spindle.

mjduct

by mjduct

The spindle is 86mm long on it, I installed one on a 79cm BBRight frame with some
Spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

Thanks 585