Parlee Z5 seatpost, aluminum vs carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bicicleta

by bicicleta

Just bought my first new road bike :D , after debating between a 2013 Cervelo R3 a Cannondale EVO 6 and a Specialized Tarmac and
hoping to spend no more than 2500.00 US, I stumbled upon a Parlee Z5 on clearance and I couldn't walk away from it. I got it with Mavic
wheels and the old Force groupset and I just swapped new Force 22 and Reynolds tubeless wheels.

The only thing I think I will need to change now is a setback seatpost, I always had bikes with 27.2mm carbon seatpost and I have no
experience with a 31.6 seatpost and I wonder if I go aluminum will the ride quality suffer much?

I looked up a post with Parlee Z5 and seatpost suggestions and it wasn't very helpful to me because I'm not looking to spending 500.00 USD
on a seatpost, I just need something easy to adjust and reliable, not too heavy would be a bonus, looking to spend no more than 300.00 USD.

Any help and ideas appreciated.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Get Thomson don't make this more complicated than it needs to be ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bicicleta

by bicicleta

mattyNor wrote:Get Thomson don't make this more complicated than it needs to be ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Not so much in love with their setback design, but a very very good seatpost indeed, if I can find it locally I'd have to see how it looks on the bike.

Thanks for the suggestion.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Just get a carbon post on ebay. Ritchey superlogic can be found for about $150, buy a Ti bolt for the clamp and cut the unwanted length and you'll have a 150g setback seatpost for under 200 shipped
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kaaos

by kaaos

why don't you get a same 3T seatpost but with setback... 3T Dorico Team will be a perfect match for your frame

kaaos

by kaaos

:D

kode54

by kode54

maybe a Syntace carbon set back P6(?) has some comfort built in.

i use an Enve 31.6 set back on my Z5.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Nice bike. Why not a Syntace P6 Carbon Hiflex? In your budget, will give you some comfort, and looks good. It is kinda heavy, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrPe

by OrPe

had good luck with easton's EC90 on a parlee Z4.

you can find these shipped for less than $150 (on the bay').

Oren
Last edited by OrPe on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veganeric

by veganeric

+1 to NiFTY's suggestion.

bicicleta

by bicicleta

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will see what I can get on ebay.

Right now I'm a bit lost when it comes to buying stuff online because I just moved to Canada (Surrey BC) and I have
not the slightest clue which companies ship here, import duties, etc...

The only thing I'm sure of is most everything is MORE expensive in here :evil:

kode54

by kode54

bicicleta wrote:Thanks all for your suggestions. I will see what I can get on ebay.

Right now I'm a bit lost when it comes to buying stuff online because I just moved to Canada (Surrey BC) and I have
not the slightest clue which companies ship here, import duties, etc...

The only thing I'm sure of is most everything is MORE expensive in here :evil:

i have an Enve 31.6 set back seat post on my Z5. i've had a Syntace P6 on my Storck, but prefer the Enve post. goes well with the Z5 SLi.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rijndael

by rijndael

Your seat looks pretty far forward on a 0 offset post, are you sure you want to go with a setback post?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bicicleta

by bicicleta

rijndael wrote:Your seat looks pretty far forward on a 0 offset post, are you sure you want to go with a setback post?

The seat is like that because I had just put the bike together, that's how it came from the bike shop. For me to even get 50mm setback
I'd have to push the saddle all the way back to the limit of the rails. I have long femurs and I have always felt better using set back seatposts
on bikes with 73' angle seat tubes.

I will meet a guy from Craigslist that has a brand new, never installed ENVE post for 200.00 CND.

Are there any counterfeit ENVE posts floating around, anything I should be aware of? :shock:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I really appreciate this forum :beerchug: