Latex tube problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

I recently switched to latex tubes and love it. I also installed veloplugs at the same time. When I went to pump up my tires before a ride yesterday I noticed the front was totally flat. Upon trying to pump it up there was a hissing noise and slow leak of air (a hole presumably). When I inflated the tube outside of the tire, that section where the hissing was coming from "balloons" up compared to the rest of the tube. Is this normal with latex punctures? I can't find the actual hole, but would really like to patch the tube - these things are pricey! The tubes are vredestein.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

The bulges are manufacturing imperfections in the thickness in that section. I inflate just enough and submerge in water. Make sure the valve core is screwed all the way in also. I use contact cement and a piece of old latex tube as patches with great success. Coat both the tube and patch with glue. Inflate enough to give tube shape. Let pieces sit for a few min until tacky and then apply patch.

dj97223

by dj97223

I was using veloplugs with latex tubes for a while (red plugs in A23 rims). I got a series of flats, which I traced to the plugs. I replaced the plugs with one layer of stan's tape and cured the problem. btw, it probably is not a good idea to put a lot of air in a latex tube when it is not in a tire -- weaker areas will get stretched more.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

dj97223 wrote:I was using veloplugs with latex tubes for a while (red plugs in A23 rims).

Was that an A23 with the tubeless channel?
formerly rruff...

russianbear

by russianbear

Johnny Rad wrote:Probably caused during install by a tire iron, pinched sidewall, etc. Look it up.
Proper installation requires patience, care and a bit of experience can't hurt.

It's worth the effort!

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=123285&hilit=Latex+pinched
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107616&hilit=Latex+pinched
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40223&hilit=Latex+install&start=180

I used lots of talc and carefully got the tire on with my hands.

dj97223 wrote:I was using veloplugs with latex tubes for a while (red plugs in A23 rims). I got a series of flats, which I traced to the plugs. I replaced the plugs with one layer of stan's tape and cured the problem. btw, it probably is not a good idea to put a lot of air in a latex tube when it is not in a tire -- weaker areas will get stretched more.

I afraid it might be this. Love the weight savings, but might have to go back to tape if it keeps eating the tubes :/..

1415chris

by 1415chris

Put one layer of electric tape over the plugs. I had to do that not because there were failures with latex inners but the plugs were slightly loose. Do not remember how much weight it added, few grams I guess.

dj97223

by dj97223

WMW wrote:
dj97223 wrote:I was using veloplugs with latex tubes for a while (red plugs in A23 rims).

Was that an A23 with the tubeless channel?

No. Just regular clincher rim, I believe.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

hmai18

by hmai18

Have been running latex tubes for years, mostly Michelin, but recently bought some Vredesteins. My C24s have the yellow veloplugs and one layer of electrical tape. No idea what the weight difference is between the original Shimano blue rim tape and the plugs/tape, but I think I'm still ahead by a few grams. Aside from installation mistakes, I've never had an issue with tubes being punctured this way.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Latex is awesome but I would only run with tape not plugs. The irregular surface of the plugs would be concern for me.

Also do not inflate latex tubes alone as you will deform them. They need a diaphragm to support them structurally.

nickf

by nickf

I have no issues with red plugs on my Williams 38s. I get flats because everything seems to puncture through a veloflex corsa. Yes lots of talc on tube and tire when installing. I only inflate manually when installing just enough to give tube shape.

Razor

by Razor

nickf wrote:The bulges are manufacturing imperfections in the thickness in that section. I inflate just enough and submerge in water. Make sure the valve core is screwed all the way in also. I use contact cement and a piece of old latex tube as patches with great success. Coat both the tube and patch with glue. Inflate enough to give tube shape. Let pieces sit for a few min until tacky and then apply patch.

I use Vredestein latex.

My experience as well. Sometimes the hole can be so small you have to submerge the tube in water. That is why I carry a spare tube on the road. At first I just cut small sections of Velox to cover the spoke holes, but I think over time the edges of the tape irritate the tube and I started getting occasional "rim" flats. So I ran one strip of electrical tape over them, problem solved. Over time, the electrical tape would get bunch up (pull away from the rim bed edges) causing it to have long length-wise creases.

I didn't get any flats but I figured that wasn't a good solution. Ran out of electrical tape, took the Velox off, and used an old Ritchey nylon rim tape. I swear I could feel the sluggishness of my back wheel after that :lol: So I took the tire off, put talcum powder on the inside of the tire and on top of the Ritchey rim tape, now the sluggishness was alleviated but not as nice as the electrical tape feel. So ditched the Ritchey tape, put the Velox pieces back over the holes and put one strip of Rox tape on there.... :beerchug: Rox tape doesn't bunch, back to the original feel!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Red plugs on two sets of Reynolds never gave me trouble with latex tubes.
What gave me trouble many moons ago was impatience and inexperience.