Opinion Please [cracked Cannondale]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nfecyle

by nfecyle

While cleaning my bike I found this. Is my frame done ? I had broken chain couple days ago, I think that was the cause, but I am not sure. Can it be salvaged ? I ll take it to LBS tomorrow also.
Thank You!
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited topic title

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Looks like it's toast to me.

rrkite99

by rrkite99

Not rideable but repairable. I would not start with my LBS. There are a few places like Calfee that specialize in repair.The decision comes down to whether the frame is worth the money for repair,paint and shipping costs. It looks like a Kestrel and there are online places where they can be bought relatively cheap. Tough choice , weigh options,costs.

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

rrkite99 wrote:Not rideable but repairable. I would not start with my LBS. There are a few places like Calfee that specialize in repair.The decision comes down to whether the frame is worth the money for repair,paint and shipping costs. It looks like a Kestrel and there are online places where they can be bought relatively cheap. Tough choice , weigh options,costs.

^ this. That clearly has cracking in the carbon walls, so unless you get it fixed, it's toast. I have a few friends who have used Calfee. It isn't free (snapped chainstay ran about $300, unpainted), but it's cheaper than a new frame in many cases. Your LBS won't be able to do much other than refer you to Calfee.

Major bummer.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Its a Regular Cannondale Supersix. I have seen they go about 500-600 on craiglist or ebay, used. So spending 300-400 dollar for repair is kind of questionable. But I might get it fixed if possible and used it for rain bike. Also I rode it last Saturday on a long ride without knowing, lucky nothing happens. Thanks all.

jimborello

by jimborello

Done, it is just not worth it to fix it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

At that location, it may not even be repairable. When I sent my wife's frame off for repair, I was asked how close the damage was to a junction, which can impede the technician's ability to reach and repair the damage. Hate to say it, but I think that frame's toast. You may want to send Calfee some photos, and see what they say, but be prepared for bad news.

mjduct

by mjduct

If nothing else clean it up real nice pull all your parts and hang it on a wall...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stefano

by Stefano

If you're adventurous that looks like it could be repairable yourself! Might add a bit of weight but if you're only gonna use it as a rain bike, might as well give it a go! (Or if you don't want it you can ship it to me... :D )

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

time to upgrade to evo hi-mod

sastre

by sastre

ChiZ01 wrote:time to upgrade to evo hi-mod

time to upgrade from crackondale :up:

" my cannondale frame has snapped " wow what a surprise. :smartass:
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

How old is the frame and how much usage have you had from it?

With a situation like this, and with how many alternative frames there are out there, which are good, I would just get a new frame. Repairing, repainting, etc., are all viable practices in a zombie apocalypse if you need the bike to get you and yourself through the mountains and through the gates of Mega-City One, where you will be safe, but in the zombie free first world, you really should just get a new one.

I have (two) Super Six Evos. If I was in your position, I would possibly buy an Evo, but would also consider a Giant Propel, a Canyon Ultimate or similar.

Ha, what size frame is that, anyway? I will happily sell you my perfect condition Cannondale Super Six Evo 2012 54cm frameset, if you want...