HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 am 

Hi,
Inevitably with a BB30 I have creak issues.. I've researched many views here and elsewhere and had settled on the Praxis Works solution planning to go from the FSA crankset to a similar compact Ultegra FC6750.

To my horror I've now found that for reasons best known to C'dale my BB is 73mm wide and not the usual 68mm.

Not only does Praxis Works not fit but neither will Ultegra FC6750 even if I shim my current BB30A with Wheels Manufacturing adaptors, as the FC6750 is only good for BB 68mm to 70mm.

Does anyone know of any other solutions for me or am I stuck with the FSA crankset and repeatedly dismantling the BB..?

Cheers,
Simon

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 am 

Try Loctite 609. I've run this on Cannondale, and now as a precaution for my Scott Foil PF86.

If the bearings ever need servicing, using heat can allow you to unseize the compound to allow them to be replaced.

That is what Cannondale recommends for various things related to BB30 shells/bearings.

Cannondale part number KP218

The activator is like a primer/cleaner that allows for quicker setting.

250C temp to disassemble. But me thinks that lower temp, then using a drift would allow it to be removed...haven't done that part yet personally.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:32 pm 

Thanks for that..
Is 250 of heat okay with carbon?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:18 pm 

I have the same problem - a 1 week old £3k Synapse that has BB which creaks louder than anything I have ever known! It's already been back to the shop once.

I had fully planned to switch to the PraxisWorks BB with Ultegra chainset, and had ordered all the parts before I saw the PraxisWorks small print which specified that the 2014 Synapse wasn't comaptable!!! GUTTED!!!!!

So I am now at a loss also - looks like the bike I saved for all these years will now be a noisy nightmare!!

Literally can't believe it - I feel so ripped off, utterly gutted.

Did the OP figure anything out?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:19 pm 

Hi Secteur,

Right I am sorted.. I got new bearings and an adaptor kit from Wheels Manufacturing as follows:
BB30-AC-KIT BB30 Angular Contact Bearing & Clip Kit
BBUNIV-SHIM BB/PF30 Universal Adapter for 24mm Spindle Cranks (Shimano, FSA, etc.)

This is a universal shim rather than the BB30 specific one as the BB on our Synapse is slightly wider as it is a BB30A.

I now have a Shimano Ultegra 6700 Cransket fitted..

Sadly this wasn't the creak I was having..

Having recon'd my pedals I established it was my rear wheel. I had upgraded from the Shimano that came with the Synapse to SwissSide Francs. these turned out to be the problem..

I contacted SwissSide and they said sometimes some grit gets into the freehub and causes clicking; they also provided a link to the really easy service process which basically involves taking the free hub off with an allen key (inc cassette) and wiping and poking around with a cotton bud into all the corners and wiping any muck off.

Did a 40 mile spin today and absolute silence apart from whirr of the chain going round. Bliss..!

I probably didn't need to upgrade the BB but I am really pleased with the Ultegra cranks.

I suggest to you that it may not be the BB30A causing the problem and it may be worth looking elsewhere unless you fancy an upgrade, particularly since your bike is brand new (I've done nearly 3k miles on mine). almost certainly going to be some other metal on metal situation moving together I would think.

Hope all the above helps in any event..
Cheers,
Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:10 pm 

Harrison, HUGELY HELPFUL!! Thank you so much for the part numbers from Wheels MFG. I will now be ordering this kit soon. I did speak to Cannondale tech support this afternoon about fitting a DA9000 crank to my Synapse. I was told that they will be coming out with a kit for fitting a Shimano crank into a BB30a frame soon. She said a month or two.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:10 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:56 pm 

Hi Ltoddokc,
No problem.. there are so many different things that creak on bikes we all need to help each other..! :-)