Crankset upgrade question for Cervelo R3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

I just bought a 2014 Cervelo R3 with the 105 group set. I am 45 years old, 5'10" and 170 pounds. Most of my training is geared toward preparing for fondos and multi day events in the mountains. I live in Helena Montana, which is on the continental divide so I spend a lot of my time on long and steep ascents. I am upgrading to mostly Ultegra 6800 components; shifters, brakes, derailleurs, 11-32 tooth cogset and chain. The R3 came with the BBright PF-30 BB and FSA BBright 50-34 crankset. What are some options for the replacement crankset? I've considered sticking with the Ultegra 6800 here also. For under $400 (crankset including rings), which others would you recommend to shave some weight and bump up the performance? Wheel build and cockpit are up next.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Changing cranks will not increase performance other than the far too small to measure amount gained from lighter weight... if the new cranks are lighter. I think the 6800 cranks weigh the same as the FSA ones and that's before the adaptors the 6800 would need to run in 30mm ID bearings.

BBright is not PF30. It's wider. So you can't use a true BB30/PF30 crank with a short spindle.

The only advantage that Ultegra has over 105 is lighter weight. Changing groups is an expensive way to cut weight.

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

eric wrote:Changing cranks will not increase performance other than the far too small to measure amount gained from lighter weight... if the new cranks are lighter. I think the 6800 cranks weigh the same as the FSA ones and that's before the adaptors the 6800 would need to run in 30mm ID bearings.

BBright is not PF30. It's wider. So you can't use a true BB30/PF30 crank with a short spindle.

Cervelo lists "Bottom Bracket BBright™ PF-30" on the specification list of the R3, R5, S2, S3, S5, P2, P3, P5...actually every current model except for the Project California. So are you saying that they actually have limited what cranksets you can equip their frames with? What style and size of cranks can you run on the Bottom Bracket BBright™ PF-30?
They flash "BBright increases system stiffness and reduces frame weight while allowing for a large range of crank compatibility in a modern press fit system." as a beneficial feature on each of their bike model's respective web page. Are they misleading me, the buyer? I'm just trying to address one issue at a time with my rebuild project.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Cookiedds wrote:. Are they misleading me, the buyer?

The short anwser would be no, you can still use many of the cranks on the market, just have to make sure the splindle length is long enough. The "true" BB30 cranks (like the SRAM red BB30) have a much shorter splindle so can't be used. You can use most cranks with an adaptor.

http://www.bbright.net/supportingbrands.aspx

EDIT (a picture paints a thousand words)

On the right is a "true" BB30 crank, note how the splindle is shorter than the "not true" BB30 crank.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

mjduct

by mjduct

I recently traded in the rotor3d+ that came on my r5 for a campagnolo over torque... Lost about 120 grams on that trade, you can't go wrong with any of the big names like shimano or rotor, I would shy away from The feather weight stuff a lot of it doesn't test out very stiff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnyscans

by johnnyscans

Rotor 3D+ is going to be your best bet. If you're thinking of going the power meter route you can also use the SRAM Quarq power meters, as those (and the new 11 speed Force, but not Red) are BBRight compatible. The BBRight website has all of the information you could ever want.

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/5.aspx is also a goldmine.

rma

by rma

I went from the FSA BBRight crank to the Rotor 3D+ with a SRM powermeter. I found it to be a lot stiffer. Don't know if that translates into a faster cyclist... but it feels great!

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

Thanks, great info and links.

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

Will the FSA SL-K Light compact 50/34 work with the stock Cervelo BB and the Ultegra 6800 11 speed shifters, derailleurs and rear Cogset? Looks light, solid and frankly, I really like the esthetics.

Svetty

by Svetty

I'm slightly confused as I wasn't aware that FSA made a native BBright crankset so it might be that your existing FSA chainset is running with an adapter. In which case you could use any chainset of the same standard (BB386 evo or 24mm spindle?).

TBH it's hard to think of a sound reason apart from 'upgradeitis' to swap out your existing chainset. If the rings are worn, just get replacement rings :D

rma

by rma

In that case, I would highly recommend the Praxis Works chainrings! Those are rock solid, just as the DuraAce ones!

GT56

by GT56

Cookiedds wrote:Will the FSA SL-K Light compact 50/34 work with the stock Cervelo BB and the Ultegra 6800 11 speed shifters, derailleurs and rear Cogset? Looks light, solid and frankly, I really like the esthetics.

not if it is a BB30 crankset

if it is 386EVO or MegaExo only with the help of adapters

if it is a BBRight Crankset, no problem

shifters, deraillieurs and all that, no problem

photocycler

by photocycler

What crank did you end up with? I am in a similar boat and considering the Rotor crank in the 30mm spindle (link below) Will this work with the BBright or do I need a special BBright Rotor Crank?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=67081&category=688

AZR3

by AZR3

The 3D+ I have on my R3 requires an 11.5mm spacer on the drive side, but some rotor cranks that are for BBright have that spacer built into the spider. I'd assume the crank you listed requires the 11.5mm spacer as they're not listed specifically for BBright.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

roundabout way of finding out but bottom bracket compatibly chart here suggests yes

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produ ... 3d30-road/