Alchemy Hub Recall -- Stop using every ORC-UL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tjwallace

by tjwallace

Has anyone gotten a reply from Jeremy recently? I sent my details 4 days ago and still haven't gotten a response.

ergott

by ergott

tjwallace wrote:Has anyone gotten a reply from Jeremy recently? I sent my details 4 days ago and still haven't gotten a response.

What is the question? Did you get your hub wheel directly from them or from another builder?

I only ask because if you purchased from a builder they should be handling most of the question load. It's more efficient that way.

Either way, I bet you will hear from them by tomorrow. We are just coming off the weekend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjwallace

by tjwallace

ergott wrote:
tjwallace wrote:Has anyone gotten a reply from Jeremy recently? I sent my details 4 days ago and still haven't gotten a response.

What is the question? Did you get your hub wheel directly from them or from another builder?

I only ask because if you purchased from a builder they should be handling most of the question load. It's more efficient that way.

Either way, I bet you will hear from them by tomorrow. We are just coming off the weekend.

I purchased them from a local builder but was told by him to contact Jeremy directly. The question was about what is the next step in getting my hub replaced.

ergott

by ergott

I'm having all my hubs replaced by me. My customers came to me for my expertise in the first place.

Jeremy has been working hard to fix this so I'm sure you will hear from them. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Sykes

by Sykes

I too am very sad to hear this news. Jeremy and Sarah are out right professionals and I could not expect any more form a company. I am also one of the owners who had a failure. Fortunately my failure did not cause an accident. The connection between the hub and the cassette broke. I was able to limp home as the cassette would engage and remain stable while under tension but when free wheeling the cassette became very loose. Jeremy asked me to send him the entire wheel, he replaced the hub and mailed it back to me. The process was very quick and I gain a lot of respect for Alchemy. For anyone who is curious I received my wheels in late Aug 2013, it failed in March 2014 with about 2,500mi of use. I hate to hear that mine was not just a one of, but that there is an inherent defect. I thank Jeremy and Sarah for standing by the product and doing the right thing. It shows so much character, many others would have simply closed up shop.

Since I am now looking to replace the Alchemy, what would be the best compatible hubs? DT240, CK45 seem to be the top two options. Would love some input from the wheel gurus.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I'm not sure how Jeremy is working the replacement... if he is giving cash as well if you replace it with a less expensive hub... but if he is, the White Industries is worth considering.
formerly rruff...

wacomme

by wacomme

From what I understand, Jeremy is offering users a choice of hubs. He's generally recommending White Industries. I need to decide on a hub for my wheel rebuild. Does anyone have experience with the Tune Mag 170 or Extralite SLX? I'm 155-160 lbs. I have a set of Ksyrium wheels for winter use. These are my summer wheels. My front is an Alchemy Elf laced to a Stan's 340 rim (24 spoke). The rear was an Alchemy Orc UL laced to Stan's 340 rim (CX ray spokes), 28 hole. They've been bomber for over a year, and I've never had to true them.

Since the wheel needs rebuilding, I'm also considering a new rim (will pay for the rim). I've had no problems with the Stan's, but I'm considering alternatives - even carbon? Also, should I stay with 28 hole or go to 24?

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Bummed to hear about the UL being pulled. I was looking forward to getting one and riding it for days on end.
I had a set of Shimano regular Orc hubs and oh man were they good.
If I had a choice between a Tune 170 and Extralite SLX, I would most likely go for the Tune 170.
I own both of them and the Extralite is a little more finicky than the Tune. I mean they both need attention paid to them, but the Tune 170 has been bulletproof on my end.
I'm building up the SLX to a set of Pacenti SL23 hoops and the Tune to Enve 45c.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

mjduct

by mjduct

Sorry to hear about this, I've considered custom wheels a few times but never pulled the trigger. I will definitely throw business alchemy's way if I do go that direction in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sykes

by Sykes

WMW wrote:I'm not sure how Jeremy is working the replacement... if he is giving cash as well if you replace it with a less expensive hub... but if he is, the White Industries is worth considering.

My understanding is that you get your choice of replacement hub, unfortunately you lose the difference. That being said a replacement hub, spokes, nipples and the labor to make the switch is a very generous offer. I could have easily seen such a small company closing the their doors and leaving the customers hung out to dry. As I said earlier I have a lot of respect for Alchemy and when they have a new product I will be sure to purchase from them again.

Stefano

by Stefano

I was saving up for these... guess it's a good thing I'm poor! As soon as they have a fix out on the market I'll be in though-- It's evident that the good people at alchemy really take their product seriously!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Jeremy and Sarah are great to work with. I have bought several tune products from them and they are a class act. In the longterm, they will get back on track. I would certainly do business with them again.

axbcaxk

ergott

by ergott

People have been asking me about replacement. I have no money interest either way and must say that White Industries T11 gets my pick 9 out of 10 times. It's a robust design that's been around for 20 years with little changes. The T11 is the latest design. Consistently the White Industries hubs have had a steel axle and titanium freehub body. They can be completely disassembled and are easy to perform basic maintenance if need be. Finally, the bearings are all the same or larger than other hub designs for a high static load. They moved the flanges so they are the same as Tune and most other well designed hubs. The biggest thing they give up is the weight weigh is still good at 252g. The Alchemy design was 196g so the total add is less than 60g. If it weren't for the ingenious design of the UL hub I would have gone that route with more customers when I was regularly recommending the UL. I think that the weight loss and the increased stiffness of the UL is worth the premium of all the other hubs in the mix.

As far as other hubs, I tell people that they have the usual choices and all will make for a good wheel. The R45, Tune and DT all have some nice features that set them apart. For most riders, I think the features of the T11 make it the best overall performer before even considering that it costs less. The R45 and DT aren't appreciably lighter. The Tune is so for the customer that prioritizes weigh most, that's my go to. I do have some big riders on my list and switching to the T11 gives me the most comfort that they will have a strong, robust wheel out of the options.

Someone mentioned the 9000 hub and I don't even put it in this list. The flange spacing got worse and it's not appreciably lighter. Sure the bearings roll nice, but so do the others. 9000 pales in comparison to the previous generation Dura Ace hubs.

Hope that helps. I don't get paid more/less either way so I'm really telling you straight from all my experience.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I have a set of 24/28 T11 hubs laced to Pacenti SL23 hoops. Hands down the best clincher wheelset I've owned and I've had a few.
My Tune (Pink) 70/170 Pacenti SL23 wheels were pretty sweet too, but there's something special about the WI T11 hubs.
I'm considering selling my Extralite stuff for a set of 20/24 WI T11, because those hubs are that good.

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I built another set of wheels, tubular for racing, it is posted on here in the asian wheel thread. Anyway, 56mm HongFu with Tune 170/70 hubs. The free hub has a bit of friction and is very loud. The tune 170 has been very good so far and I use them for racing (of course now training since the Orc UL recomendation to not ride the hub). The loud hub and high friction free wheel hasn't stopped my performance in races though. The wheels aren't the problem that is for sure.

So, basically I need my training wheels that have the ORC UL replaced with a hub. They 40mm clincher carbon wheels, 24h, strung to about 130kfg. I was thinking DT240s, White T11, or R45. I was leaning towards the DT240s, or the White for reliability/strength. I just need them to string up tight, and work with little hassle/maintenance personally. The 40mm carbon clinchers are my daily/training wheels and race day wheel truck/backup wheels. So they just need to be basically bomb proof and reasonably light.

As a side note, my left side ORC UL bearing went out after like 800 miles. I ride 99.99% dry conditions, pre-load was perfect. Don't know if it was a dud, or another issue with load. Assumed it was a crappy cheap bearing issue. Surprised the low-quality bearing was used in the Alchemy and not an EZO instead. But whatever, the front ELF has been terrific and haven't touched it ever.

Thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com