Alchemy Hub Recall -- Stop using every ORC-UL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nothingman

by nothingman

Just thought I'd update to say the system seems to be working as advertised. Props to Jeremy and all the wheel builders out there.

I packed up my wheel and sent it to my wheel builder (at my cost, but only like $10 so I'm not sweating it), and magically in the mail 2 weeks later I received my rim with fresh spokes, nipples, and DT240 hub in the middle. I went with the DT240 because it's black, the stickers can be removed to match my front ELF, and because it's just such a great hub. I would suggest that people don't get too worked up over WI versus DT. Just pick the one you like more and be done with it. They're both great.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I want to give a big thumbs up to Jeremy the way they handled the replacement and rebuild of the wheel with a different hub.

A lot of companies, and we know who they are, would just pack up shop and call it a day, file bankruptcy and just walk about from the customer leaving them to hang out to dry.

Jeremy and Sarah worked to ensure this didn't happen, and went way above and beyond to do everything professional to make right the issue.

Edit: Got the wheel back. Rode this morning on the usual hammerfest, no problems. Really like how quiet the freehub is (DT240S) when coasting compared to my Tune Mag 170 and even other hubs I've had on carbon wheels. Nice change. Wheel is definitely heavier by 20gms+ or so, can feel it in the wheel in your hand, only downside. But these are my training wheels, and 1320g for a set of 40mm carbon clinchers ain't bad still.

Big thumbs up again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Anyone know the current status of Alchemy Bicycle Works?
Did the UL model recall put them down for the count?
That would be a shame as my two sets of ELF / ORC hubs are still great so far and are well designed.
I am preparing to install new bearings in the oldest pair - using the prper Alchemy drifts/tools so wish me luck...
If anyone knows how Jeremy and Sarah are doing, please post.
(What they did in the recall was above and beyond the call of duty for that situation.)

ergott

by ergott

I'm in touch with them on occasion. I also happen to have 2 sets of their updated hubs. You can tell because they have serial numbers on them now.

They say they have some stock right now. I'm waiting on an inventory list so I can sell some more of them.

Ideally, the plan is to have another company take over production. The concept has proven to pass all fatigue tests with flying colors (recalled hubs predictably failed now that the test has been established). I certainly hope they can come to an agreement with someone to produce them in volume. They are still the best hubs I've ridden.

I haven't built the second set I have (red). Just thinking about a special set of rims to use.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

This is wonderful news! Thanks for the quick update. And I agree with your assessment of the hubs' ride qualities. :thumbup:
The new hubs look so clean. I assume the J and S in the serial coding is for Jeremy and Sarah.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

This really is wonderful news. Will happily echo that the original ELF/ORC hubs are fantastic and my favourite hubs of all. So much so that I used them in a special wheel build. http://bit.ly/myprojectpink

Hope they come back on the market soon.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Jeremy was a great guy to deal with and I hope he can get Alchemy back up and running. When I was still on 10sp I had four or five wheels built with his hubs and they were great. I still use the fronts but have transitioned to DT 240s hubs since he wound down.

kavitator

by kavitator

Great - :)
Now i wish to live in USA :|

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

good news. I hope they can get the alchemy hubs back out there.
Speedplay is the devil!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, I still have my Elf on my front of course, one of the bearings failed, not Jeremy's fault, just pressed a new one in, still going. No issues.

I appreciated how he replaced my rear hub with a DT240S, covered the costs of shipping, he did a fantastic job rebuilding the wheel and it has been problem free since. But would love to get another ORC UL hub back in place of the 240s he swapped due to the hub issue. 30gms is 30gms...plus it is a great hub.

Probably looking into taking a page of of some other people's books, like Boyd etc...you can design your hubs, but have somebody build/mass produce them that that the scaling/machining/capacity and processes in place, good move if he can do it and make a living at it. Tough business.

Best of luck to them!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I still use a ELF front as well.. it's been rock steady for me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

ergott

by ergott

A little eye candy for now.

spytech

by spytech

So what are the changes made to the hub? any specs on it?

ergott

by ergott

It didn't need much. Just some reinforcing with more material at the weak point. Hub was then fatigue tested (in a wheel) rolling on a drum that had a bar on it to simulate road impacts (with weight to simulate a large rider). The recalled version predictably failed. The redesign outlasted expectations and longer than a Dura Ace hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Ergott - which rims are you using in the photo above please?