From Cannondale System six to Giant Propel?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phazer

by phazer

Hi, as the topic says, I ride a system six at the moment and love it, however the lure for a new bike is getting strong :) and
the system six is starting to get a little old. I live in the Netherlands, so most of my riding is as flat as it get, hence why I am
thinking of the Giant Propel, however, I do go on trips to France and Italy a couple of times in the year to go climb. How well
does the propel climb against something like my system six? I have zero experience with aero frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

one of the most sexy aero bike out there

sharkman

by sharkman

I used to own a systemsix which was a great (competition) frameset and now have a Propel (amongst and few other framesets).
If it's your only frameset I would choose the advanced or an Evo since in my experience these are better allround framesets (that are at least equal compared to the system six).
Propel is great on flat roads (and for me better than the S3 for example) but it comes with brakes that are not that good (better brakes are available) and the advanced wins in every other situation and is a nicer allround frameset.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

good advice as always :)

53x12

by 53x12

Since you are considering a Propel, it seems you are at least somewhat interest in aero. If that is the case, why pick a slow aero frame and not the fastest? If you want an aero road bike, you might as well pick a fast frame. Cervelo S5 VWD, '14 Cervelo S3 or '14 Felt AR. Nothing else will be faster when you compare and look at the various data out there. If you are looking for comfort, the '14 S3 and '14 AR will provide that. Especially when compared to other road aero frames. Also, the Propel and its brakes are just a big pain in the head that I personally wouldn't want to mess with.

Now if the issue is of fit, the Felt AR should give you an almost exact geometry as the SystemSix. The Cervelo will be slightly more upright, but that can be fixed with a -17 stem.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sharkman

by sharkman

Since you are considering a Propel, it seems you are at least somewhat interest in aero. If that is the case, why pick a slow aero frame and not the fastest? If you want an aero road bike, you might as well pick a fast frame.

As a concept "aero frameset" the Propel is at least on par with the mentioned framesets. Where the Propel have less than perfect brakes the other framesets will have weaknesses in other aereas that are not as easy to solve as a pair of brakes (By Fouriers in fact and if kittel is satified with the available solution.....). Don't know about the Felt (at least the earlier ones didn't fit me well) but I would pick the Propel over the S5 and S3.
Last edited by sharkman on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phazer

by phazer

53x12 wrote:Since you are considering a Propel, it seems you are at least somewhat interest in aero. If that is the case, why pick a slow aero frame and not the fastest? If you want an aero road bike, you might as well pick a fast frame. Cervelo S5 VWD, '14 Cervelo S3 or '14 Felt AR. Nothing else will be faster when you compare and look at the various data out there. If you are looking for comfort, the '14 S3 and '14 AR will provide that. Especially when compared to other road aero frames. Also, the Propel and its brakes are just a big pain in the head that I personally wouldn't want to mess with.

Now if the issue is of fit, the Felt AR should give you an almost exact geometry as the SystemSix. The Cervelo will be slightly more upright, but that can be fixed with a -17 stem.

Yup seeing as I am living in a flat country, and doing most of my races here, so aero frames is definitely interesting for me. The Cervelo's is...just...plain...ugly in my eye's, even if it might be superior, for my tastes it's just too ugly. The Felt AR looks interesting.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I have to agree with 53. If you want a true aero road frame I'm not sure I would consider much else outside of Cervelo and Felt. They both test the fastest. Look at the data on the Propel and it really isn't that fast of a frame (the S5, S3 and AR test faster). The Propel is at least a generation behind the S5/new S3 and the new AR.

I also have yet to hear of any weaknesses in terms of the new Felt AR (fast, stiff, comfrotable), the new S3 (fast, stiff, comfortable). Even you have the coin for the S5 VWD, you could do much worse.

I personally wouldn't even mess with the Propel. I would go with a Felt or Cervelo. They are the leaders in aero frames.

53x12

by 53x12

phazer wrote: The Cervelo's is...just...plain...ugly in my eye's, even if it might be superior, for my tastes it's just too ugly. The Felt AR looks interesting.

If that is the case, you should look at the new Felt AR. Much better option than a Propel in my opinion. Not sure what your budget is, but if you can afford it the AR FRD is a great option. Just throw a TriRig Omega brake on the front, Zipp SL-70 aero bars (or something similar) and you should have one fast setup. Try and see if you can find a shop that has an AR in that you can test ride.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

phazer

by phazer

sharkman wrote:I used to own a systemsix which was a great (competition) frameset and now have a Propel (amongst and few other framesets).
If it's your only frameset I would choose the advanced or an Evo since in my experience these are better allround framesets (that are at least equal compared to the system six).
Propel is great on flat roads (and for me better than the S3 for example) but it comes with brakes that are not that good (better brakes are available) and the advanced wins in every other situation and is a nicer allround frameset.

My thinking was, will keep the system six as a winter bike. I looked at the Evo and Giant tcr advanced, both seem to be awesome bikes, canyon ultimate as well, however, I am not 100% sold on what it will give extra in any measurable form than what the system six provides me with at the moment, hence why I am looking at possible aero frames.

But looking at the propel and as you mentioned, the brakes does concern me, however I love that Giant went through the effort to hide them from the wind.

phazer

by phazer

53x12 wrote:
phazer wrote: The Cervelo's is...just...plain...ugly in my eye's, even if it might be superior, for my tastes it's just too ugly. The Felt AR looks interesting.

If that is the case, you should look at the new Felt AR. Much better option than a Propel in my opinion. Not sure what your budget is, but if you can afford it the AR FRD is a great option. Just throw a TriRig Omega brake on the front, Zipp SL-70 aero bars (or something similar) and you should have one fast setup. Try and see if you can find a shop that has an AR in that you can test ride.

Sure is pretty

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

hiding brakes from the wind, but not the cables? fail.
Also there are big problems with the AR's testing methods, but I still love that bike. oval tubing is obviously better than round at least

53x12

by 53x12

The only real cable that is sticking out in the wind is the front brake cable. But that could easily be made more aero by using the TriRig Omega front brake.

ajh

by ajh

I have a propel and the brakes are fine. Any stronger and I would just skid. I do have the Giant alum brakes and not the carbon ones.

I had a tririg brake with the new style arms and one of the arms broke. Thankfully it was when I was testing brakes before a ride and not during. I never trusted that brake again and I did not get any support from Tririg as it was out of their very limited warranty. It was definitely a flaw in materials/design not from any other reason so i got rid of it.

I had an S5 and that does not handle/corner as well, is not as comfortable and is not as stiff in the front as my propel. I have not tried the new S3 but based on the size of the tubes it would most likely fix all the issues I had with the S5.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I was referencing the propel with regards to front brake cable. really really bad in the flow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com