Anyone ridden a Planet X Mondo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

Been thinking about moving to a carbon frame. Whilst I'd love something like a Parlee Z5 or a Sarto Asola my budget doesn't stretch that far.

The Planet X Mondo is built by Sarto but retails at a more affordable £1500.
An XL frame weighs approx 980g and I'd suit a large so should come in a little lighter.
If I got one I'd consider getting it refinished similar to this lovely Cyfac:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2vJWzdVRIY8/UW2hj9gzY2I/AAAAAAAADj4/50PNpU949WA/s1600/cyfac.JPG

Anyone ridden the Mondo? Good or bad things to say?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRSAHMCARR/planet-x-mondo-carbon-road-frame-and-fork?utm_source=old+Planet+X+and+On+One&utm_campaign=3c08be0bc6-MoreBangForYourBuck&utm_medium=email

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

for $1500 you can get a 700g supersix evo hi-mod from ebay. different league

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Surely Planet-X are having a laugh?

Spend half that on an Allez and Storck Visioner (or any other alu frameset for that matter) and use the left over cash on lighter parts.

Have yourself a better looking frame in the process.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Much though I like Planet X and think they've done a great job selling 'OK' carbon frames for less than pretty much everyone else I'm with the others here. Unless I worked for them I don't think I'd be riding Planet X as a high end bike (track excepting perhaps).

As a Londoner like yourself I'd take a trip to Condor and ask if they have any 2013 Leggero's in your size or alternatively going to Pearsons / Sigma or another shop who you'll be able to build a relationship with (Wyndymilla have a 48 eTT Massive Attack for £1,100 which should be a spectacular buy for someone). A decent relationship with a good shop is priceless.

All that said though, do you have a reason you're looking at Planet X for this one? Like others here I'd imagine there are tried and tested great frames at that price.

Krull

by Krull

I think the mondo looks great.
The claimed weight for xl is 920 gr., not 980 gr.
Supersix evo in biggest size should not be lighter.
And the top-quality of sarto-frames needs not to be discussed.
So, whats the proplem? Wrong logo? ;-)

Oswald

by Oswald

Krull wrote:So, whats the proplem? Wrong logo? ;-)

Yep... I love Planet X, but this frame is overpriced. At this price, you might aswell get a frame with a more expensive logo.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Personally, does nothing for me.

However it's the price and resultant $/gram that is the real deal breaker.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Krull wrote:The claimed weight for xl is 920 gr., not 980 gr.

Good point. I was thinking at 980g claimed weight (including usual tricks) it's not light but at 920g for a 59 eTT frame it's a completely different proposition.

Krull wrote:So, whats the proplem? Wrong logo? ;-)

My problem was that for a not light frame at that price you could buy a frame with similar weight, better known ride characteristics and build a relationship with a decent shop at the same time. Post weight correction things are more complicated.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

If I wanted a Sarto, I'd go to Sarto and get exactly what I wanted (including geometry). There's nothing wrong in a Sarto, just do it right.

vdrey

by vdrey

The OP said he would do that, but he doesn't have the budget, therefore he is looking at the planet x option.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for the responses, had some hectic work travels lately so apologies for not replying sooner.

I'd already exchanged a couple of emails with Sarto regarding frame prices/options and it was after that I came across the Mondo. Was just curious for anyones personal experience riding one.

Someone from Wyndymilla posted on this forum that their frames are Sarto built too.

Don't worry - I'm looking at the many many alternatives too (including the EVO). Regularly in Condor and Sigma, two of my favourite shops.

As an endless procrastinator half the fun is reading and talking about bikes before making a decision! It's not stopping me riding and I'm not in any rush.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I'm a fan of Planet X generally but I'm afraid its been too much of a curates egg of a vendor for me to trust putting that much cash into an Ali frame: I got one of their cheapy-cheapy Aluminium Mk2 and loved it (still ride it) but the fork was wobbly and the headset bearings, I'm pretty sure were made out of cheezy quavers as they lasted about as long in the rain as Wiggins did.

Then I bought a "Chain" pair of shoes and the straps were made out of plasticized felt. Kind of like riding as if you were attached to your pedals by bubblegum

mjduct

by mjduct

Pedal force, save 500 bucks for the same Chinese molds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

ChiZ01 wrote:for $1500 you can get a 700g supersix evo hi-mod from ebay. different league

Sorry, with all due respect you don't have a clue and if you say that, I doubt you have ridden a Sarto manufactured bike.

Sarto make some of the best frames in the world.

Tour magazine tested their R002 frame now called the Asola and said it was the best frame they had ever tested. The previous years frame winners had been the Supersix and the Storck Fascenario...

Just for reference I have ridden several of their models and visited their factory.
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

No one has yet to actually point out What the "problem" with the Sarto-built Mondo is... I mean in actual technical terms. What is wrong with the layup, workmanship, geometry, finish or quality of carbon used considering,the price paid?

would be interesting to actually forget the logo and forego the hype of lets say Cannondale and judge the Mondo on exactly what it is instead of what some hype buyers think it is? Can someone please point out the insufficiency or actual fault in the design/build spec of the Mondo and where it as such fails to meet or exceed its price point?

Commenta like "buy a pedal force" just seem uneducated at best...