Help Me Choose: Ridley Helium SL vs. Time ZXRS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Hi there,

I'm having a very hard time deciding over whether to get a really cheap, brand new Time ZXRS ($3000, rrp6000) or a second hand 2014 Ridley Helium SL ($2100, rrp3700)

What I want: I want a responsive racing bike that excels at climbing. I've only owned rouleurs bikes in the past (on an 08 Ridley Noah now), but at only 60kg (140pounds), I want a bike that suits my strength - climbing. Where I live, all the racing is a little hilly, so I want to get my bike below 7kg. (obviously weight is going to be highly dependent upon spec... Will be putting DA9000, enve finishing kit and some HED's on)

Thus, it makes sense to get the helium... but... The Time will hold its value to a greater extent than will the Ridley, its a better deal, and its aesthetically superior... and I get a warranty with the time

Thanks for your advice!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

A lighter frame will not make you a better climber (i.e. Rolland is one of the best climbers and he rides a 'heavy' frame). If climbing is your main priority then Ridley will be fine. Otherwise Time is a much better frame overall.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

kgt wrote:A lighter frame will not make you a better climber (i.e. Rolland is one of the best climbers and he rides a 'heavy' frame). If climbing is your main priority then Ridley will be fine. Otherwise Time is a much better frame overall.

I cant imagine that 250g is going to make a huge difference to your climbing ability... but I was more so referring to the particularl quality that the Helium is supposed to be renowned for - You dont hear people saying the ZXRS is a stiff bike... I think I might just go with the Time for the prestige of the brand name and the inherent value alone.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

audiojan

by audiojan

I bet with a little planning, there would be no trouble getting the Time under 7kgs (unless you're looking at the largest possible frame and you're a little heavier/strong hence need to stay away from anything lightweight). Heck, without really going with any super light components, you can easily get a side medium under the UCI 6.8kg mark with D/A 9000.

The ZXRS is a great frame and really versatile. Great long distance comfort, good aerodynamics, light enough, but more importantly, stiff enough for efficient climbing. It also descends like a dream.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Serge58

by Serge58

A lighter frame will not make you a better climber but it will make you clime better :-).
I would go for longer top tube and shorter head tube with all things being equal.
Looks like you are set on Time anyway but my Helium is 5.6 kilos.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Serge58 wrote:A lighter frame will not make you a better climber but it will make you clime better :-).
I would go for longer top tube and shorter head tube with all things being equal.
Looks like you are set on Time anyway but my Helium is 5.6 kilos.

I havent had the pleasure of riding a bike around the 6kg mark, but I've heard you really can feel the difference. I mean if your pumping out 350watts on a short sharp hill in a race (which is nearly 6w/kg for me) I reckon having a bike thats nearly 2kg lighter will make a significant difference. What spec are you running to get it to 5.7kg!? thats crazy light

zappafile123

by zappafile123

audiojan wrote:I bet with a little planning, there would be no trouble getting the Time under 7kgs (unless you're looking at the largest possible frame and you're a little heavier/strong hence need to stay away from anything lightweight). Heck, without really going with any super light components, you can easily get a side medium under the UCI 6.8kg mark with D/A 9000.

The ZXRS is a great frame and really versatile. Great long distance comfort, good aerodynamics, light enough, but more importantly, stiff enough for efficient climbing. It also descends like a dream.

I bought the Time... couldnt get past the 'specialness' of a handmade french bike. I'll post photos and a detailed review once I get it up and running. ETA two months

Chubby

by Chubby

I was really hoping you would of come back and described your ride with the ZXRS a little earlier than expected. I tried to do a lot research on the TIME but can't find as much as I was hoping. As popular as they are, it's kind of a special club to own one. People just don't talk about them too much. People that do say they're one of the best frames to ride on. I've also noticed a few bike shop owners and some employers ride Time.

I'm coming from an M10 and was planning to get the C60. Truthfully, I just like riding what others don't. (Not that there's anything wrong with Trek/Giant/Cannondale/Specialize, but they're just not for me). So when I got to the shop to order the C60 the guy tried to talk me into the ZXRS. That's when I came across your post.

I went ahead and got the ZXRS a couple weeks ago and tomorrow I'll be picking it up. I'll be running Super Record Campy's and Bora Ultra two's wheels. I decided to change the cranks to SR Campy 172.5 50/34 because I live in a hilly area and an average ride is about 50 miles and 3500 ft climb circle.

Don't get me wrong, the M10 has been an amazing climber and definitely stiff enough but after 70 miles, I'm starting to feel it. I was told the ZXRS won't have this issue. There were other reasons I went with TIME so we'll see. I'll follow up with you guys in about 30 days. First ride is Friday 7/4 for 6800 feet. Gosh I hope I made the right decision. :roll:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Here's are review of sorts. There's more to say, but I think I've captured a few essential features of the ride quality. Would be interesting to see what owners think!

Fit: The setup of this bike is really nice. It allows you to get into a nice low potion whilst maintaining a feeling of naturalness. I've set myself up with exactly the same measurements on a Ridley Noah, a BH ultralight a Cervelo Soloist and a TCR adcanced SL and this has been the most comfortable for me.

Geometry/Handling: The first thing that smacks you in the face is how stable it feels (at least compared to my Noah). Riding along you feel very planted. This is great if you train on deep section wheels like I do. I rode in Melbourne in the middle of july when the winds were up round 45km/h and I felt safe/in control. With all this stability comes a slightly slower cornering speed which can lead to a little bit of understeer on occasion. However, cornering at speed you really feel in control so if your taking a corner to wide you can nudge it back in line. Unlike previous Time's which were apparently flexy through the steerer tube, I'd say this is plenty stiff.

Feeling in the hands: its actually a little harsh through the hands. The front fork is pretty stiff so if your going over something harsh over 40km/h it feels like whats underneath you is directly translated to your hands. Note that this isnt really an unpleasant thing, its just you notice it more than the other bikes I listed above. When your going slower, or over normal (canberra) road surfaces, you dont notice it too much. Let me emphasize that this bike feels really different when travelling at different speeds.

Feeling at the feet: The BB isnt hugely stiff compared to other bikes like the Noah or the TCR SL, but its not a noodle either (Cervelo was a noodle). Acceleration follows more of an exponential curve. That is, you turn the pedals a few times, your a bit slow to start then really quickly your up to speed. The direct opposite of this is with the TCR SL - there you mash on the pedals and your up to speed instantly. Unlike the TCR SL, once your up to speed the Time holds its speed really well (TCR feels like you need to keep working - its a subjective thing) The Time also has another interesting feature. As you pedal there is this strange sensation of having a slight tailwind. It just feels slightly easier to pedal through the upstroke than on other bikes (other mates who've ridden it can varify this slightly whacky point). It actually feels as though there is a bit of a sweet spot cadence that you can get to as well where you feel maximally efficient. The final comment about sensations through the feet is that over smooth surfaces it feels a little like you lose your legs from under you. I imagine this is associated with a bit of flexiness where your not pressing down onto something super hard, the result being a loss proprioceptive feedback from your feet.

Feeling at the saddle: The first thing that strikes you is that its a really smooth ride. If you come straight off a bike thats pretty harsh you'll really notice how much feedback from the road is dulled out. The best way I can describe the feeling at the saddle is to say that that frame feels like it concurrently embodies two mutually exclusive properties. You have an inner core of alloy that makes the frame feel a bit stiff and harsh at times. Then wrapped around the outside of this alloy core is a vibration dampening material. The net result of the combination of these two things is that it feels as though everything beneath you is clearly communicated to you, but the sharp edge has been dulled off. Importantly, this sensation changes drastically depending upon your speed and the quality of the road surface. Above 40km/h, the bike starts to feel reasonably harsh, but then if you ride over pristine tarmac the combination of the slightly flexy BB and the smooth sensation in the saddle make the bike feel as though it starts to disappear from underneath you

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I ended up having my cake and eating it too... I just picked up a cheap XS 2015 Helium SL last night. Will be back with a ride report!

ajmit3

by ajmit3

If you ever want a slow ride in Melbs let me know !

ajmit3

by ajmit3

If you ever want a slow ride in Melbs let me know !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

ajmit3 wrote:If you ever want a slow ride in Melbs let me know !

I'm based in Sydney these days, but I may be down at the start of next month.