Di2 MTB Sequential shifting- is Road next?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rma

by rma

It would be really cool to have a syncro shifting of the road bike!!! REALLY REALLY cool!!!

deek

by deek

I haven't done the math, but I'm assuming that the XTR version assumes a certain cassette/ring size and it might not do a front shift at the right time if you use it with road gearing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its not explicitly clear but I believe there is some interface within the PC/Computer software that allows you to key in/ select your gear/cassette stack numbers. And the system probably can calculate the sequence for any ratio accordingly.

Sequential shifting on road wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Example: To enter sequential mode, just hold all 4 buttons on the road shifters for 3 seconds. Do the reverse to exit.
How the sequential button controls work can be programmed in the computer interface software.

It would add a lot of functionality into what is already very good ! :beerchug:

mattr

by mattr

maxxevv wrote:Its not explicitly clear but I believe there is some interface within the PC/Computer software that allows you to key in/ select your gear/cassette stack numbers. And the system probably can calculate the sequence for any ratio accordingly.
Looks like you just program the chainring upshift when you want, e.g going from lowest ratio, your 6-7 shift will actually be from small ring, to big ring and 6th sprocket to 4th. Then you program a different sequence on the way down. Maybe holding on to the big ring all the way down to the 2nd or 3rd sprocket, then doing a big-small shift and a shifting across to your 4th or 5th sprocket.

Dropping in and out of sequential mode *might* require a software hack. Unless shimano have the functionality anyway, i would hope they do as it could well be needed for racing, if/when you get carcked up with leaves and mud, running big/big combinations leads to a lot less skipping gears, or bending a tooth on your big ring, sticking to the inner might be required.

Geoff

by Geoff

The difference is that there are not too many MTBs set-up with 11 or 12x23, whereas that is a pretty common road cassette.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Don't see why Shimano wouldn't just add the functionality into the 9070 brain as an option via the software on your computer to program this.

Just some logic/feature set.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

It really depends if the chipset programming flexibility is already available in the current generation of Di2 road groups.

If it is, it might be just a firmware upgrade. Or it might be a small module add-on with firmware upgrade away.

I have no idea if it is, but that's the case, it would be wonderful from a consumer point of view.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What will be coming is automatic shifting, all you need is a power meter and cadence sensor and the bike will shift itself. Sequential shifting is probably on the cards and I can see why it had debuts on MTB's first as shifting and controlling where the front wheel goes is a bit more demanding than it is on a road bike as the changes in gradient and change in track surface off road are far more rapid than on road.

ave

by ave

It would be silly to not to be able to shift rings manually.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

As with cars, it'll probably be like tiptronic shifting, let the gears change on their own and if you want to be more involved in the ride, shift accordingly simply by tapping on the shift paddles.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

bm0p700f wrote:What will be coming is automatic shifting, all you need is a power meter and cadence sensor and the bike will shift itself. Sequential shifting is probably on the cards and I can see why it had debuts on MTB's first as shifting and controlling where the front wheel goes is a bit more demanding than it is on a road bike as the changes in gradient and change in track surface off road are far more rapid than on road.

Actually, Shimano tested that out some 15 years ago. They commissioned a project that used the then available Mektronic system coupled with an SRM.

We should expect them to release such an option together with their integrated powermeter for which there was a patent revealed recently.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

Is it useful for road bike?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Probably not so much for normal riding but would be pretty useful for ultra endurance events such as 24hr MTB enduro races and Ironman races where maintaing a sustainable pace is paramount to finishing with a good timing ? Maybe to a limited extent, audax events.