Bontrager seatpost rotary clamp/ears (+SLR carbon rails)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Does anybody happen to know the weight of the rotary clamp hardware (ears + bolt + rotary clamp) for Bontrager seatposts?

Also, Bontrager lists two optional ears for carbon oval rails: 7x9mm and 7x10mm. Is the 7x9mm a better choice for Selle Italia SLR carbon rails (7x9.6mm)?

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If I remember correctly from my build, it's 12g.

For your saddle, I'd go 7x10.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^Thanks FIJIGabe. Is that weight for the ears only? Because I think all the loose parts weigh a bit more (ears, bolt, spring, rotary clamps).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Sorry, I was really off. The weight of the ears is 29g for the 7x10 versus 21g for the standard 7x7 version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thanks! I wish someone would make a lightweight version of the rotary clamp hardware.

erwizy4p5

by erwizy4p5

I wish someone would too

Wildh

by Wildh

Fiji... Did you use that style clamp on the madone 9? Frustrated they don't make a 7x9mm....

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

sanrensho wrote:Does anybody happen to know the weight of the rotary clamp hardware (ears + bolt + rotary clamp) for Bontrager seatposts?

Also, Bontrager lists two optional ears for carbon oval rails: 7x9mm and 7x10mm. Is the 7x9mm a better choice for Selle Italia SLR carbon rails (7x9.6mm)?

Thank you.
I just put an SLR saddle on a Bontrager seatpost yesterday. Used the 7x10 ears. I think that’s what you want to go with. No stress risers. No slip. I marked everything before a good long ride. Used gritty carbon paste in the clamps at the rails and torqued it down to 10Nm and used Loctite 222 (purple) on the threaded clamp bolt. I use a bit of Morgan Blue AquaProof Paste between the cups and the hole in the seatpost.
This is not a Madone however. Are the Madones different? Fijigabe could answer that.
I have 7x9 ears as well (for Specialized saddles). How do the Madone seatmast differ (at the saddle clamp) from the others, like for the Domane say, or the Emonda?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wildh

by Wildh

The madone is different i think and also uses different style ears. Not sure if the are cross compatible. I ordered the 7x10mm ones but they are on backorder from Trek until mid July. Silly. Might just order ti rails and send the carbon one back.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Madone clamp is different and they are not interchangable.

nickf

by nickf

Wildh wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 am
The madone is different i think and also uses different style ears. Not sure if the are cross compatible. I ordered the 7x10mm ones but they are on backorder from Trek until mid July. Silly. Might just order ti rails and send the carbon one back.
They are back in stock. Showing 50+ in the system. W524901 Trek Madone 9-Series Aero Seatpost Clamp Ears 10mm Oval

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com