Shimano 6870 or Shimano 9000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

How's the lifespan of the aluminum 28 cog on the xdome cassette? And is the cog replaceable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Set it up right and you can squeeze an 11-32 into a 9000 rear mech (SL4 Tarmac) :) negates the need for a long cage setup for silly climbing.
Using Tapatalk

intheknowcycling

by intheknowcycling

6870 without a doubt. For the same money you will shift better and you will go faster.

I just completed a thorough comparative analysis of the top 2 tiers of mechanical and electronic groupsets available from Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM for my blog. The Ultegra 6870 was the best performer and its actually less expensive than the DA.
Steve
http://intheknowcycling.com
What cycling gear to get next and where to get it

vtspot

by vtspot

No need to quote above

Totally agreed! And the reason I didn't go for DA Di2 is because it is too expensive. And another reason is we will crash when cycling and looking the expensive component breaking is not really a good thing though. :D

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

One of my bikes has the original 6500 group set with eleven plus years of riding. My 6800 has about four thousand miles and so far has performed flawlessly. EPS is still new, but I find it hard to accept that an EPS group will last as long as the mechanical version, plus there's no worry about monitoring battery reserve or worrying about the unit losing charge.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I have been thinking about replacing my SRAM YAW group so I went and test rode groups the other day. 9000 didn't impress me as much as I wanted it to. I wouldn't call it enough of a change/improvement over the SRAM to warrant the change.

6870 was copious amounts of fun. I couldn't get the front shifting to fault. Really excellent.

I went home and ordered a Super Record group though :)

afalts

by afalts

The 4 position trim of the new 6800/9000 groups is just too much for me. Especially when racing.

6870 is my vote. I have over 20 000 km on mine and haven't made an adjustment. Though have swapped chains a couple times, one new cassette, and a couple full cleanings. Not having to replace internally-run cables like I did on my old bike whenever I had a couple wet rides and the housing clogged up has been so nice. I don't get the 'I like the feel of mechanical' sentiment, unless all you do is work on the bike in the stand and don't actually ride.

eric01

by eric01

Consider your budget for the whole bike. 6800 + nice wheels is better than 6870/9000 + crappy wheels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

jackie

by jackie

if money isnt an issue.. DA will be choice.. but function wise, its the same as Ultegra. price point. of cos ultegra will be much lower. so it depend on yourself, do you like the bling factor of DA or functionality of the ultegra. i have 2 DA9000 ,a Ultegra Di2, and a ultegra mech groupo on the bikes and honestly, Ultegra does it job well and you can hardly feel the difference btw them.

teslasports

by teslasports

jackie wrote:if money isnt an issue.. DA will be choice.. but function wise, its the same as Ultegra. price point. of cos ultegra will be much lower. so it depend on yourself, do you like the bling factor of DA or functionality of the ultegra. i have 2 DA9000 ,a Ultegra Di2, and a ultegra mech groupo on the bikes and honestly, Ultegra does it job well and you can hardly feel the difference btw them.

The 9000 is around 1200 € only and 6870 1090... the difference is not so big !!

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I have 6870, and the "it just works" factor is fantastic. I originally wanted da9k because it is lighter and I didn't think I really needed electric, but complete bike availability dictated the decision. Now that I have around 5k mi on it though, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with derailleur cables again (stretch, maintenance, adjustment, replacement, etc). I know that sounds petty and trivial, but it is really nice to be able to dial everything in at home and not have to worry about things being slightly off. To further that point, I'm not sure if it's the "special coatings" and treatments Shimano added to the 11spd chains, the auto trim, or a combination of both, but I got over 4300mi on my first 6800 chain before it started showing >.50 wear on the park tools indicator.

I use to average around 3200-3500 mi to .70-.75 wear with 6700 chains on my previous sram drivetrain.
Last edited by weekapaugin on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

teslasports wrote:The 9000 is around 1200 € only and 6870 1090... the difference is not so big !!

If you're not racing/putting yourself in situations where crashing is a risk, then could very well be worth paying the difference.

But if you're racing, just wait until you need to replace a lever or a RD. That's when the difference really bites.

mannymerc

by mannymerc

hhmmm I had the same dilemma and ended up using 9000 on my race bike and 6800 on my rain bike, I had a demo with 6870 and it was great, but personal preference plays a big roll, I like the mechanical feel of it. sram cassettes are generally more expensive, and I just plain didnt have good luck with the brand so ultegra cassettes is what I use.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

weekapaugin wrote:but I got over 4300mi on my first 6800 chain before it started showing >.50 wear on the park tools indicator.

I used to average around 3200-3500 mi to .70-.75 wear with 6700 chains on my previous sram drivetrain.

My first DA 9000 chain only lasted 3000 miles (.75 to 1.00). I used White Lightening lube. Now I'm on my second chain and I'm using Pro Gold lube. What are you using as a chain lube? I also noticed that the chain was quite 'loose' out of the box. It was measuring almost 0.50 when new.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I used dumonde tech lite on the first chain, it just started showing over .50 on the indicator at 4300mi. I noticed Park/Shimano recommend changing 11spd chains at .50, but 10spd used to be .75 wear on the cc-2 checker, for what that's worth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com