Stages Power Meter - draining battery overnight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

asv

by asv

My stages has been great. No issues, great battery life, low weight, and easily swappable between my EVO and caad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing2

by Racing2

I'm waiting to install my Stages PM crank, first my bike needs to get here, a bit of an false start with the product because my phone (HTC One) isn't Android 4.4 compatible and you need Android 4.4 to be able to download and use the Stages firmware updater. Stages customer support reacts fast but in the end it's just: We work on future compatibility in the meantime use somebody else his phone and label it problem solved.

According to them my Stages powermeter, because of the serialnumber, is currently up to date and won't need an update, but I still feel not compleatly satisfied with the whole thing, I know I'm not an pioneer when it comes to phones, if it: rings, does internet and takes pictures it allright by me, but I believe that they should should state 'small things' like this more clear to interested and future buyers of their products.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

The problem here is the Stages Power meter, almost all athletic equipment really, only talks using BLE/BT 4.0 which is not supported by older devices. Even for the devices that do have the hardware, Android itself didn't have a single API to use it until 4.4. So for phones like yours that has BT 4.0 Stages would have to write their app for your phone specifically as HTC had to implement the BT 4.0 stack themselves since Android didn't have it. Then they would need to write one for Samsung phones, Motorola phones and so on.

For what it's worth I would trust them with regards to which firmware version your power meter has on it from the factory.

David

- PS I assumed that HTC even implemented the bluetooth 4 stack as BT 4.0 is listed as a feature, I don't know this for sure.

Racing2

by Racing2

Thanks for explaining, I agree and also don't think that it will ever be possible on my 'old' phone, I have a thing for bikes for most other stuff I don't really care at all to be on the cutting edge of technology, if it works it works.
It has just been a bit of an false start for me, looking into how to get it going and sending multiple emails back and forth to various custumer services, isn't how I like to spent my time, but now that is clear that this it it I'll just use a friends phone to update it in the future and that's the end of it.

benzebub

by benzebub

hello guys, sorry to dig up this old topic but it's the only topic which seems to deal with Stages issues.

let me explain my situation:

4 weeks ago I bought a Stages ultegra 6700 powermeter. Since then I've put 5 rides on the powermeter.
until now I've had no issues, but during my ride today I started getting dropouts of the power readings. For the last half hour of my ride I didn't have any readings at all.
I did a zero reset with the Stages app before the ride and everything was ok, battery was full,... After the first dropout I stopped and did another zero reset with the app, once again the battery was full. after the 4th dropout I opened the the configuration screen on my head unit (garmin edge 800) and the powermeter seemed to lose connection and started reconnecting all the time: connection for 30 seconds, connection lost and searching, connection found for 30 seconds,... until it just didn't connect anymore and stopped transmitting data. When I got home I tried connecting again with my head unit (manual entry of ANT id), didn't work. I tried connecting with the Stages app trough bluetooth: couldn't find any connection (I stood there like an idiot for 8 minutes holding my phone right next to the sensor, at least my hamstrings got a good stretch).

the powermeter has only been out in good weather, no rain, I haven't washed my bike since putting it on so water infiltration should be a non issue.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?
But I could be wrong

mullarted

by mullarted

There are only really three problems that I've seen with Stages:

Water Ingress - You've already filed this out.

Battery Cover - I had an ill fitting battery door which caused similar problems to you. Drop an email to Stages and they will post you a couple of new doors and 'o' rings.

Battery Connector: The battery connector might be too pressed down. Using your fingernail lift it up a bit before putting the battery in and closing the cover.

One of those should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trex021

by trex021

benzebub, I had dropouts like you described (Shimano 6800). I filled out a support ticket on their site. They asked me to take a closeup picture of the battery compartment with the cover off and another of the battery cover. In addition they asked me to attach a Garmin .fit file from a ride with dropouts. I did that immediately and they sent me a new Power Meter UPS 2nd day air.

glepore

by glepore

Yes. Despite the negativity their customer service is first class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

mentok

by mentok

Wish we had that level of support in Australia. I'm stuck using gaffer tape to keep my battery cover sealed because the gaskets don't fit and support don't care. This is on an XTR arm which was AU$1000 new.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

mentok wrote:Wish we had that level of support in Australia. I'm stuck using gaffer tape to keep my battery cover sealed because the gaskets don't fit and support don't care. This is on an XTR arm which was AU$1000 new.

Have you contacted Stages directly to tell them about the support you are getting in Oz?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Dez33

by Dez33

@benzebub did you purchase a stages unit with the new design pod or the old one?

benzebub

by benzebub

it was the old design. I've contacted stages and they were very swift to respond.
they believe it's a battery door issue and they've sent me some spares. I will see if the problem is solved and if not I'll contact them again.
But I could be wrong

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

I got a new battery door and seal for my stages and it solved my battery problems!
velonode.cc

thebornprince

by thebornprince

Hello All.

I am new to the forum and facing a severe issue with my Stages Power Meter for DA 9000.
I had followed all the recommended steps for the installation for the Stages and it worked pretty well on my first 2 rides. Post which I reinstalled the PM to my newly built Specialized Tarmac SL4 (previously it was installed on a Fuji Gran Fondo).
I can pair the PM with Garmin 810 and can calibrate but the moment I start riding it shows no power reading.
I have done all the troubleshooting steps but no joy.
Have tighten the crank arm to 13 NM using a torque wrench.
Have replaced the battery to a newer one.
Have paired the devices and calibrated and the successful calibration value shows as '0'
Still when I am peddling indoor or outdoor, the power meter is not showing the any value on my Garmin 810 (updated firmware).
Also, downloaded the Android App and could connect through bluetooth but Stages is not showing any data on Mobile and while resetting it is shows the value as '0'
I am really worried. I have purchased this device in UK in the month of August 15 and now we have moved to India which is not in the service zone of Stages I guess.
thebornprince

Wealth I seek not, hope nor love, nor a friend to know me. All I ask is the heaven above and the ROAD before me.

* Specialized Tarmc SL4 (Custom build)
* Fuji Gran Fondo (Custom build)
* Fuji Roubaix 1.3 (Ex)

trex021

by trex021

Fill out this form: http://support.stagescycling.com/support/tickets/new

They will respond quickly although I have no idea what they'll be able to do for you in India if you need a replacement. You might as well go directly to them for your answer though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com