AICAN Bungarus Questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oscarach

by oscarach

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the AICAN Bungarus brake cables and housing.

1) Do they work ok with handle bars that have internal cable routing like the 3T Ergonova?
2) How does the finish hold up? Saw where someone had an issue with them starting to look worn quickly.

Thanks

jimborello

by jimborello

I have a red anodized set, and after a year they are still looking fine. The red color is starting to fade a little but they have kept up much better than the K-edge red anodized mount they were paired with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

They do work with internal routing, but do not handle really tight bends as well as alligator or nokon.

drchull

by drchull

When internally routing i always wrap the internal part with electrician's tape or heat shrink tubing. Preload the length I need and then wrap it. If you are changing cables later you don't want the segments coming apart inside the frame or handlebars. Alternately when pulling cables make sure you pass a regular cable housing or sleeve up over the cable you are pulling, pushing the aican out along the cable. You may have to cut the ball end off of the cable first and you can slide the housing from either direction.
My frame (foil) wouldn't be too bad if it came apart in the frame because of fairly large plastic plug that can be pulled at BB but would also have to remove the BB to clean it out most likely.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Oscarach - They work fine with ergonovas, the finish on my black ones, did not last very well at all.

The main issue was, as madcow has eluded, tight bends, can lead to fractures of the delrin liner. If the delrin fractures the aluminium segment is then swinging on the cable and will eventually sever it. This has happened with my rear brake cable x 2, and FD cable x 2 in 6000 k's. I am now trying alligators. I could never get them to shift right with my RD. This might be due to the combination of one - very high cable tension in my FD (Sram Red Yaw) and awkward placing of rear brake cable entry (cannondale evo) but these are my experiences.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oscarach

by oscarach

Thanks for the great info.

NiFTY - How are you liking the Alligators so far? I think I may run in to similar issues to you with the AICAN as bend for the rear brake cable entry is tight (also Cannondale EVO).

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Have only got the alligators on the FD at present, running KCNC Ti wire so very expensive to changeover all cables (very soft so gets crushed when clamping and can't really be re-used unless cable is shortened). Running gore to RD, aican to front brake (never moves relative to fork so has never been an issue in 6000ks) and gore to rear brake boss at headtube, aican from seattube to brake itself (this section has also been fine as it is relatively static)

Will change to alligator when current cables start getting dodgy.
I am keen to here from people running alligator ilinks for their RD, as there is a fair bit of movement between i-link segments when setting up and wonder if this could lead to imprecise shifting as the cable comes off tension and segments spring apart?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com