Another Colnago C60 or...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lUcIfEr

by lUcIfEr

maverick_1 wrote:@lUcIfEr

Clinchers don't anyhow come off while you just ride along.
IMHO, the tire manufacturer should compensate you if there was indeed a failure in their tires..

Haha sorry, I meant Tublars. Campy Boras and Continentals to be exact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickl

by nickl

You can buy insurance to cover your bike in non-race situations. Might be cheap peace of mind if you often have problems with your tyres falling off (!?)

I suspect you might want to expand on your story there before we all go crazy speculating how that happened! Brand of tyre, tube, wheel and pressure please!

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

No need to quote above

Glue v. tape?

lUcIfEr

by lUcIfEr

nickl wrote:You can buy insurance to cover your bike in non-race situations. Might be cheap peace of mind if you often have problems with your tyres falling off (!?)

I suspect you might want to expand on your story there before we all go crazy speculating how that happened! Brand of tyre, tube, wheel and pressure please!

Ok, heres what happened.
I was on a cycling road, meaning its a smooth road, no bumps, no downhills, no curves. I was cruising at around 35~kmph, and suddenly my tire just pops off the rims.
The Rims were Campy Boras, and I was using Continental Sprinter Tiers with Tublar Cement.
Tires were inflated to 150PSI, which is optimum according to the website.

So again...I have no idea of the culprit.
And no insurance company offers a "crash insurance" for the bike itself in where I live. Sad sad... :cry:

P.S.
The guy PM'ing me about the frame, Im not authorized to send PM's on the forum yet so whoever you are can send me your email will be great ;)

Franklin

by Franklin

I'm not completely agreeing there. Titanium and Steel also breaks. In This case I think his steerer hit the top tube. With high end steel that's definitely a dent and though is supposed to be tougher, I have seen it go as well (and yes from well established brands).

A bike quite simply is not made to crash. Usually it survives, but if you have an unlucky spill all bets are off. Doesn't even need to go fast, I have seen top end steel go when a friend of mine keeled over in trackstand during nationals.

I'm hardly an expert, but with 25 years of racing experiences I have seen way too many parts fail to make a sweeping statement about which material is tougher. Tentavily I'd say Oversized Alu is the thing I that's sticking out as safest choice, but that has the disadvantage of being unrepairable. Steel and CF are often repairable, titanium I don't know, but probably very hard/impossible to repair.

No for the OP:
- Your problem was a badly kitted Tubular and has zilch to do with the frame. There's no reason at all to be afarid of C60's, but it's time to review your glueing practices.
- The financial issue (do I dare to ride on a 4k frame) can only be answered by you.

Just don't think that a 4k steel frame is much stronger, chances that it also wouldn't survive that crash are substantial.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Yes, that's right tubulars are a new invention. Not at all tried and tested.

Franklin

by Franklin

I'm not sure why you are putting up a strawman? Saying Clinchers are tried and tested does not say Tubulars are a new invention.

Now you might disagree about the suggestion for clinchers, but many (dare I say most) of us prefer clinchers for training. It's cheaper and less finicky. So there's nothing wrong suggesting clinchers, especially when the OP had a runaway tubular and is lamenting costs :wink:

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

150psi because the website said it was optimum? It's beginning to make sense.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The OP will probably blow one of his new clinchers on a descent now, breaking his new frame in the same place when the tyre rolls off the rim.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Something is very wrong here. First, the OP confused clinchers with tubulars. Maybe just a slip or brain fart but when you say you had your tubulars at 150psi because some website said it was "optimum" that's a bit concerning. I can't remember the number exactly, but I know in the Bora manual the max pressure they state for a bora is far below that. I have Boras, and ~115psi in the rear and ~105psi in the front is what I run. I glue my own tires and can't imagine them just popping while just "riding along". In fact, getting them off is a very painstaking process. I feel the pain of crashing a brand new C60 but something was very wrong with the whole tire/wheel/gluing process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Franklin wrote:titanium I don't know, but probably very hard/impossible to repair.

Same as steel.

Not that difficult.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Perhaps a poorly glued tubular could roll of the rim when leaning hard through a high speed turn, perhaps after a long descent with a lot of braking which heated up the rim/glue, but just riding along straight??

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/race/sprinter_en.html shows a range of 115-170 psi for Continental Sprinter, although I think the "optimum" is much nearer to the bottom than the top of that range. Inflation to 150 psi, though not optimal for that tire, should not result in it rolling off the rim.

Are you sure you didn't have a blow out, and the blow out caused the tubular to come off the rim? I'm not sure how that would happen, but sounds more plausible than the tubular just rolling off as you are proceeding straight down a smooth road.

lUcIfEr

by lUcIfEr

Really embarassed at mixing up the two types of tires :oops: ...damaging a new C60 will cause the brain to mix up tublars and clinchers haha
On the other hand, my manual for the Boras say "See inflation pressure reccomended by the producer of the tire" which I did.

I know its not a tire blow, I stuck the same tire, inflated again on another rim and let it sit for a few days, no signs of blow/wear/tear.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

lUcIfEr wrote:Really embarassed at mixing up the two types of tires :oops: ...damaging a new C60 will cause the brain to mix up tublars and clinchers haha
On the other hand, my manual for the Boras say "See inflation pressure reccomended by the producer of the tire" which I did.

I know its not a tire blow, I stuck the same tire, inflated again on another rim and let it sit for a few days, no signs of blow/wear/tear.

The manual for my Boras says the same thing.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I feel your pain regarding the crack in the frame, but I'm really struggling to see how the tyre could just pop off the rim while just riding along. I had a blowout (rear) on my tubs during a race a few weeks back and I managed to come to a controlled stop from about 30mph.

Are you sure you didn't have tubs fitted on a clincher rim or something?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com