Another Colnago C60 or...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Franklin

by Franklin

ghisallo2003 wrote:Sorry, I should have been more direct in my argument and no straw man.

Clinchers are tried and tested.
Tubulars are tried and tested.

OP has been tried, tested and failed. Yes. Clinchers are a good idea.

For lack of a shakehand: :beerchug:

One tiny addition though: It could have been plain old bad luck.

I'm also thinking he did something wrong when putting on the Tubular, but let's not forget sometimes things just fail, so let's npt pile upon the OP, as surely he's in a shitty (expensive) place right now.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Calnago wrote:Just get a new C60. Start over. But first learn to glue your own tubulars.

A good place to learn all there is to know about tubulars and gluing them on is the rather long thread on this website. Read it cover to cover and you'll be fine.
Colnago e Campagnolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lUcIfEr

by lUcIfEr

Thank you all for the imput, speculations, etc.
Regarding to the wheels ill just suck it up as an "unlucky" event. The tires were NOT glued by me, but at a professional shop. Anyhow I may re-think of using a clincher wheelset again, maybe a Cosmic or Campy Bullet.

Anyways I decided to get another C60 in the end. Now im torn between two colors, OFWH(My current frame color) or THBI.
Imputs will again be appriciated ;)

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

lUcIfEr wrote:Thank you all for the imput, speculations, etc.
Regarding to the wheels ill just suck it up as an "unlucky" event. The tires were NOT glued by me, but at a professional shop. Anyhow I may re-think of using a clincher wheelset again, maybe a Cosmic or Campy Bullet.

Anyways I decided to get another C60 in the end. Now im torn between two colors, OFWH(My current frame color) or THBI.
Imputs will again be appriciated ;)

Tubulars do not just come up riding along, nor from bad luck.

Sue the shop. They did not do it properly.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, how could you not take it back to the "professional shop" that did the gluing?? Show them, show us (more pics of the wheel bed and the tire tape at least), and ask them how could that happen. If that happened to me that'd be my first stop after picking up my broken bike and body. Unless there's something not being told here.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alexaqui

by alexaqui

Good luck on the new C60! Get the new color; repair the old one and keep it as a "rain bike". Otherwise I am sure someone will be willing to purchase it and repair it themselves.

boysa

by boysa

Calnago wrote: Unless there's something not being told here.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The one and only time my tubs got nudged off the wheel on a wet day when I tried making a very sharp turn, I looked at the rim and found a thin layer of glue in the middle of the rim only. I never had my tubulars glued at any lbs again after that.

Franklin

by Franklin

ghisallo2003 wrote:Tubulars do not just come up riding along, nor from bad luck.

Bad luck: things can break, even after perfect installation. A hidden flaw in the rimbed when it left the factory, some mishap during transport

So yes, tubulars can come of from riding along, bad luck. I'm not saying it's the most likely cause, as improper installation is pretty much the default hypothesis, but as we all know things fail. There has never been a manufacturer who only puts out pristine infallible stuff.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Agreed.

Post pictures and then we should know the failure mode. As you recognise, most likely fault lies with shop.

In all seriousness, you can not go out and buy another C60 without taking on the underlying cause.

Something still smells wrong here - few posts, v.v. high end bike, ignorance of tubulars.

lUcIfEr

by lUcIfEr

Ok, not sure what exactuly "smells wrong" in my posts but any concerns or comments I'd be glad to hear them, especially if I was breaking rules here.

I have only this pic that shows the rim face right after the fail.
Anyhow the tires had been bought from overseas assembled by a seller on Ebay which makes my case hard to sue.

boysa

by boysa

Huh? You bought the tires overseas (nothing wrong with that), but then sent them to someone from eBay to glue? I'm confused.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Hmmm, as a reader, I know that I'm in no position to blame anybody here but I can say:

1) The rim appears to have been underglued.... It may not have been intentional on his part if he was only using the rims for recreational riding and thus the tires didn't roll off before he sold them to you.

2) You, as the buyer of pre-glued wheels should have inspected the wheels prior to usage, which includes whether there may have been under-glued...I would never take anything for granted given they came with the tire.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rijndael

by rijndael

Why is the tire not inside of the fork legs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Confucius wrote:Maybe because he removed the wheel after the crash, and then put it on again, but this time with the tire outside the fork.