Light but Colnogo C59 ride quality?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rogerkdvm

by Rogerkdvm

I am a rookie to this forum looking to get on someone's wheel for an easier ride to knowledge. I ride a Colnogo C59 10 sp Di2 Dura Ace external battery. With ENVE 2.2 Tubulars it weighs about 14.6 lbs but with 3.4 clinchers over 15 lbs. I am considering building a light ride in the 12-13 lb range. I cant stand mechanical any more so want Di2 11 with internal battery. Is there a frame that is in the 650-750 Gm range that will have any where near the ride quality of my C59? I am new to the "science" of building light so the choice of components is something i need help with as well. I rode a Cannondale EVO with my ENVE 3.4 clinchers on it and it was quick, responsive and a harsher ride than my C59. Looking to try a Wilier Zero7, Parlee and Cevelo R5; any comments or others to try? Thanks Roger :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I am looking for the same frame as you. Unfortunately, none of the frames you listed are in the weight range of 650-750 grams. Close but not there. My parlee z5sl, size small, weights 780 grams stripped bare. My friends Wilier Zero7 weights close to 780 grams. I have yet to ride a frame this light and as comfortable as my Colnago C59. As a matter of fact, the only frame which is more comfortable is my C50. To this date, I find that the very light frames tend to be very stiff. I am waiting to see how the new Ax-Lightness Evo frames turn out. I have to see one in the flesh or on this forum.

mjduct

by mjduct

Light carbon = stiff carbon = harsher ride. Big difference in ride between my buddies 2010 cervelo R3 and my 2011 R5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

From the three you mention Parlee will be probably the most comfortable, then Wilier Zero7, then Cevelo R5. I guess, among these, the Wilier wins the comfort/weight battle. It is supposed to be a great bike anyway (Bicycling magazine's editors choice pick in Superbike 2014 category).

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bik ... lier-zero7
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wilier-zero.7-frame
http://road.cc/content/review/43620-wilier-zero-7
http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/wilier-zero-7-review.html

nickl

by nickl

Rogerkdvm wrote:I am a rookie to this forum looking to get on someone's wheel for an easier ride to knowledge. I ride a Colnogo C59 10 sp Di2 Dura Ace external battery. With ENVE 2.2 Tubulars it weighs about 14.6 lbs but with 3.4 clinchers over 15 lbs. I am considering building a light ride in the 12-13 lb range. I cant stand mechanical any more so want Di2 11 with internal battery. Is there a frame that is in the 650-750 Gm range that will have any where near the ride quality of my C59? I am new to the "science" of building light so the choice of components is something i need help with as well. I rode a Cannondale EVO with my ENVE 3.4 clinchers on it and it was quick, responsive and a harsher ride than my C59. Looking to try a Wilier Zero7, Parlee and Cevelo R5; any comments or others to try? Thanks Roger :)

New Scott Addict SL? Most reviews say it is more comfortable than the Foil (which isn't exactly a hard thing to accomplish).

The Neil Pryd Bura SL is in that weight range and supposed to be reasonably comfortable.

nickl

by nickl

Also the (new) BMC SLR is a touch heavier (790g quoted) but has a very good ride quality.

barsook77

by barsook77

I have a C59. Personally...I don't get the "race to the bottom". The ride quality is only good up to a certain point.My frame comes in @ 14 lbs 14oz. My training weight fluctuates between 174-180 lbs. This frame gets stressed pretty heavily with Mondo gearing.

I think that in real world conditions as an everyday rider, with chip seal road surfaces and high winds, you are pushing the limits of the bike. At high speed, everyone of these frames start to exhibit their flaws i.e. a lack of stiffness. I cannot imagine how anyone would want a bike in the 12-13 lbs. range ... it would be trashed in 10-14 thousand miles with excessive hammering and the ride quality going down from there as you descend the big mountains daily. Why pay a premium for that unless you just want bragging rights and have everyone at the shop pick it up and go...WOW! I wish I had THAT!

I know ... you can climb faster and spin up to speed with ease. But in the end ... ?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I haven't ridden every bike but it sounds like the Parlee Z5 SL would be your best bet.
Just my opinion.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

barsook77 wrote:I have a C59. Personally...I don't get the "race to the bottom". The ride quality is only good up to a certain point.My frame comes in @ 14 lbs 14oz. My training weight fluctuates between 174-180 lbs. This frame gets stressed pretty heavily with Mondo gearing.

I think that in real world conditions as an everyday rider, with chip seal road surfaces and high winds, you are pushing the limits of the bike. At high speed, everyone of these frames start to exhibit their flaws i.e. a lack of stiffness. I cannot imagine how anyone would want a bike in the 12-13 lbs. range ... it would be trashed in 10-14 thousand miles with excessive hammering and the ride quality going down from there as you descend the big mountains daily. Why pay a premium for that unless you just want bragging rights and have everyone at the shop pick it up and go...WOW! I wish I had THAT!

I know ... you can climb faster and spin up to speed with ease. But in the end ... ?

One pound on a bike is not going to make a material difference. One pound is the weight of a filled water bottle. Ask yourself if you ride any faster with or without a filled bottle. There are a great deal more important factors in a road bike. If the frame is too stiff and your body takes all the impact of the ride and tires you out at the end of a long bike ride, then that is going to matter far more than 16 ounces. Add to that stability or how well the wheels stay planted. I ride a c-59 and the thing that I love about it, is you instantly feel that you and not the bike are the limiting factor and any training and improvements you make in your legs and endurance will be rewarded. In the one year since I've owned my c-59 my speed on long rides 50-100 miles has improved by 2.5 miles per hour, and that's with significant climbs.

Agree that Colnago intentionally makes the c-59 a little heavier, in order to make it durable. Make a 700 gram frame and something's going to have to give, be it stiffness, durability or comfort.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

vdrey

by vdrey

barsook77 wrote:I have a C59. Personally...I don't get the "race to the bottom". The ride quality is only good up to a certain point.My frame comes in @ 14 lbs 14oz. (Snip)

It sounds like your frame is racing to the top :D :D :D

Rogerkdvm

by Rogerkdvm

My C59 build is with the old Di2 10 which cost a weight penality of 250 gms at the time over mechanical and I have a custom 11/34 cassette which weighs more (ia m old and like steeps). Actually i re weighed the bike with ENVE 3.4 clinchers and it is 16 lbs. Take off almost 500 gms when switched to Standard 25 ENVE tubulars and it is therefore 15 lbs. Building with Di2 11 sp internal batery with a frame that weighs 200 gms less would seemingly get me at most a lb?

austke

by austke

Keep your C59 for comfort rides. And build a new ride. Weight weenie style.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

sethjs

by sethjs

I have both a Parlee Z5sl and a Cervelo rca. Never ridden a C59. I'd say that the rca is the more comfortable of the two with the same wheels in the rest triangle while the parlee has the edge at the front. Net I find the rca more comfortable overall and thus have 303s on there while I have Belgiums on the Parlee.

audiojan

by audiojan

I have a Parlee Z5 and a NeilPryde Bura SL. The Bura is lighter (not by much though). In terms of pure comfort, I would pick the Parlee. It's just a very comfortable bike. But in terms of efficiency (sprints, short climbs, max W efforts, etc.), I would definitely pick the Bura. I would describe the Bura as a super light TT bike (that's really what it feels like, efficiency over comfort, although definitely not uncomfortable!). The Z5 is a magic carpet ride, you just glide along (and most of the time, it's deceiving how fast you're going, feels like you're noodling along, but you're still moving at a decent clip).

My wife's new bike, Parlee Z5SLi built with Campy Super Record EPS, SRAM Red crank (with Praxis rings), Gravitas brakes, MCFK seat post (and a quite heavy Terry Damselfly), DT Swiss rims laced to a PowerTap is just over 13lbs. Granted, it's an XS-Tall, so that definitely helps, but you can build it REALLY light if you chose to.

My previous bike was a Colnago Extreme Power, and that was really, really comfortable. A bike you can ride all day and always feel super fresh on.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sluggo

by sluggo

Rogerkdvm it's your money and you can do what you like with it obviously but you have an amazing bike ridden at Protour level which, with Enve tubs, comes in at under the UCI weight limit. I seriously doubt that spending a truck load of money by losing a lb or two on a new bike will give you a significant benefit. I would ask yourself what you're hoping to get out of the new bike that you don't get from a C59.

Hey, if you've got the cash and you want something even lighter then all power to you but I wouldn't expect to find a bike better than the C59.