Light but Colnogo C59 ride quality?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjduct

by mjduct

audiojan wrote:
My wife's new bike, Parlee Z5SLi built with Campy Super Record EPS...

Dang! Can I be your mistress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Z5s do build light if you want.. Mines 5.3kgs depending on the wheels that's under 12lbs in old money

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Been reading forums on frame design. Seems when you build a really thin walled frame there's nothing to absorb road vibrations and as a result very harsh ride. I guess someone could put out a frame that is super-light but instead of larger/thin tube go smaller thicker tube and achieve the same weight, but then you might have something very flexy. Someone with better knowledge of frame design might wish to respond, but it seems to me very light frames come with ride quality issues. I suppose these frames might be more prone to fractures as well.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I found the C59 to ride a lot smoother than the Parlee Z5.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Parlee is about being stiff and light. Colnago intentionally goes a different route, and makes allowances for better ride quality along with durability, using aluminum drop outs and inserts where the Parlee is an all carbon frame. The two bikes come from very different philosophies. I believe the z-5 is Parlee's answer to Cervello and in that regard the bike more than meets its benchmark.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

bombertodd wrote:I found the C59 to ride a lot smoother than the Parlee Z5.

I agree. I realize I am splitting hairs and that tire pressure is more of a critical variable in ride comfort BUT my take is.....The front end of the my Parlee Z5SL is fine however the rear triangle is too stiff for my taste. My C59 is well balanced front and rear and rides great especially on the ruff. I ride a size small Parlee and 48 sloping Colnago. Both bikes have Enve 3.4 SES clinchers with 100 psi.

Rogerkdvm

by Rogerkdvm

Thanks for everyone's response. I am narrowing down to Wilier Zero .7 with a super light build and will come in sub 12 lbs. The reports I am getting is that of the light bikes the Wilier may have the best ride due to the viseoelastic film and the "nano beads' etc. I need to learn the stack and reach for their XS and S sizes compared to my C 59 size 45. Also the BB drop or height from ground to C BB. Roger

LionelB

by LionelB

Rogerkdvm wrote: The reports I am getting is that of the light bikes the Wilier may have the best ride due to the viseoelastic film and the "nano beads' etc.

is that coming from the Willier marketing department :shock:

Rogerkdvm

by Rogerkdvm

No, from an owner/rider of both a C 59 and a Wilier Zero .7 who had ridden virtually everything else out there. Do you doubt the statement? BTW I am not going to off my C 59 this build is to also have a very light bike to help me climb for PB's, for fun and bragging rights. :D Roger

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I seriously doubt micro-beeds has much effect on ride quality/stiffness etc. The standard reasons probably apply more, such as tire selection tube selection and whether they are over-sized and very thin would play the largest role. From a tube section stand point I'd look at the rear chain stay first , followed by the whole rear triangle and then the downtube. The micro-fibers sound like marketing talk.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I get it this is weight weenies. But the colnago is such a nice ride. Just for your info I recently did a 5 minuhg climb twice with my enve powertap g3 wheels. The first time I did it just as I normally would at about 200 watts. Then I put on a baccckpack with a 20 lb weight and some books to get to 25 lbs including backpack. Then I rode up the climb making sure to go at the same cadence same gear. I finished at exactly the same time.
Results where 27 watts more for the ride with the backpack this was about a 5 minute climb at 6% ave grade.

So each pound at that grade is only gonna cost you an extra watt or so

Rogerkdvm

by Rogerkdvm

Was that total watts or 27 more average watts? If true that it only savesa a watt or two why all of th fuss about weight of bike and weight of riders in the pros? Others please respond as well. Thanks Roger

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Maybe the new Pinarello Dogma F8, the news embargo is supposed to be lifted in another 24hrs or so.
Its supposed to be quite a departure from the 65.1 Think2. I would guess the weight to be at least 'competitive' if that's part of the story.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

It was avg wTts for that 5 min segment. So I did like 200 avg watts up the segment. For 5 min. Then 227 watts avg with the backpack on. And the same exact time and speed. I think I went a third time with the backpack at 200 watts and was like 20 seconds or so slower. But that's 25 lbs that's a lot 1-3 lbs is nothing sure for the pros it's energy riding a 100 miles then going up a big climb it takes a toll. But I'll tell you this if your buddy is faster than you. The bike ain't gonna change that.

Also the interesting part was on the way home. I descended really fast down some hills because of the extra weight pretty interesting.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Bantamben wrote:Also the interesting part was on the way home. I descended really fast down some hills because of the extra weight pretty interesting.

Welcome to fat guy land! It's always fun to hit a 6% long downhill and watch the skinny guys struggle to keep up. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com