SRAM shifters - smooth transition to handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

n808

by n808

These are my first SRAM shifters, and after I taped my handlebar, I noticed that the transition between the hoods to the handlebar is not smooth. It's caused by two rubber knobs inside the hoods that normally fit in two holes on the shifter handles, I think to prevent the hood slipping. The handlebar tape covers those two holes, causing a noticeable bump. See photos. I guess after a while the rubber will eventually squeeze its way into the holes. After a couple of hours you can already see the marks in the tape.

What do you do about this? Leave it as is, cut holes in the tape, cut off the knobs, or wrap the tape so it does not cover those two holes?

(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

em3

by em3

"...wrap the tape so it does not cover those two holes"

It does not appear from the pic that you used the tape tabs (the two small pieces of tape included in most tape boxes)...if u use the tabs you can avoid (in most cases) one extra wrap around lever yielding a cleaner and less bulky wrap, and in ur case will reveal the much need nub holes for fixing ur hoods to levers. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

Thanks, that's what I figured. It's been a while since I taped handlebars and I used instructions that specifically did not use those loose tabs.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

joec

by joec

poke around with somthing pointy and locate the holess under the tape... then cut a hole in the tape witha sharp knife or scalpel.

euan

by euan

cut holes this time, wrap with this in consideration next time.

n808

by n808

I re-wrapped - it had gotten too thick on the flat sections anyway. Much better now.

Now that I know how to do it well, I'll get some better tape. This was just $5 practice tape :) Not sure what to get yet, probably something tackier. Fizik, Lizardskin or Deda.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Lizardskins are the easiest to wrap out of those mentioned imo

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

You might check out ESI's new tape. It's made of silicone foam and I'm really liking it. I've had Lizard Skin and Fizik in the past too.