Specialized Tarmac Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JDLBB

by JDLBB

So I bought a 2013 Specialized Tarmac Pro frameset from my local Specialized bike shop and had them build it up for me. When I picked it up I noticed it didn't have this part shown in the picture. I asked the mech. since it looked like most of the other bikes had it and he said the upper end bikes (pro, s-works) didn't come with them because they are supposed prevent the chainring from rubbing the chainstay and they're not flexible enough to need them. I didn't know what to say because obviously the upper end bikes do come with them since I pulled that photo from the Specialized website. Anyone know the actual name of this part and where to get one?

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dunbar42

by dunbar42

My Roubaix SL4 has one. I do not think it's a stick on pad. Looks like real metal. You could install a chain catcher to prevent the chain from dropping. But in theory you can suck the chain behind the chain catcher if you pedal backwards while shifting chain rings (and then jam it against that area by pedaling forward.)

tinozee

by tinozee

I have had those on S-Works frames and also have had them get ripped off in a bad dropped chain/magnet tangle situation. They are a little metal plate that's glued on over the paint job. It's not a critical protector, so i wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it, but I have no idea. if it came off, i think there would be some glue residue.

em3

by em3

Those alum tape stickers are useless if u ever encounter chainsuck. Instead get some Lizard Skins Leather pads and install behind ur chainrings and wrap all the way below ur chainstay as well. EM30

sharkman

by sharkman

That's not an aluminium sticker but a thin metal plate with double sided tape (and not the best quality so these do dry out / come off). Don't know if these can be bought aftermarket but they work well combined with a chain catcher so I would get me one. And every 2014 S-works (at least in Europe) has them...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have a 06 SW Tarmac and it did not have one from the factory. I really wish I did since there is a gash in the frame now because of chain suck. I would not accept the frame since they all come with them now.

Turbopowr

by Turbopowr

My 2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 has it.
Hector Cabrera
Orlando, FL
2011 Spec Tarmac Pro DA

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

My Tarmac comp 2012, has one on it.

Mize

by Mize

You want it, period. Make them get it. It doesn't protect the frame from chainrings, but from the chain in the event of a chain suck (chain doesn't release and gets pulled up). If I hadn't had one I'd have a huge gash in my chainstay. Fortunately the metal stick-on pad protected the carbon. Get the chain suck protector.

Mize

by Mize

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

That was my solution for my 2009 Tarmac.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Contact Specialized consumer customer service and I'm certain they will take care of you. PM me if you need more help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com