Praxis Works BB30 BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Praxis Works BB30 BB? I have one installed on my bike and I keep getting a very annoying click once every revolution of the cranks, but only when out of the saddle.

I spoke to the guys at Praxis when it first started happening about 2 weeks after I had built my bike. They suggested a re install following the instructions to the letter. This I did and I know that the drive side cup has bottomed out on the stop this time, I have a funny feeling it wasn't in tight enough the first time.

However it has been on the bike for a week now with no noises but it has started again. It's clicking in both front rings so unlikely it's anything rubbing, especially as it had dissapeared for a week before rearing it's ugly head again!

I'm going to give it one last chance and reinstall again this week but just looking for any advice from the forum members before I do it again. I have the wheels manufacturing adaptor's ready to try if the click comes back again, and I also have a SRAM Force 22 here as well but that's a last resort as I'm keen to keep my Ultegra crank.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I'm going the other direction. I'm on my second set of the basic ($35) Wheels Mfg Shimano adapters and I'm getting creaking again within 2 months of install. Ordered the Praxis adapter and I'm taking it in Monday to have it installed. All I can say is, after dropping probably $140 installed the Praxis adapter better not click/creak.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Fingers crossed that it's just me doing something incorrectly! I really want to keep the Praxis as it seems like the best option out there. I had to re calibrate in terms of how tight something should be on a bike while fitting it. In order to get in to bottom out on the machined stop it took 2 of us to get enough force to thread it all the way in. It's the tightest I've ever done anything up on a bike but at least I know it won't harm the frame in any way.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

OK so I took the BB out today with a mind to re fit. Turns out the non driveside bearing is running pretty rough. Not good for a unit that is only 3 weeks old! I'll need to buy a bearing locally to get my bike back on the road ASAP, but hoping that this is what's been causing the click. Sounds like a reasonable assumption?

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Yes, but I didn't think the bearings were replaceable on the Praxis unit (at least not officially.) I would try to warranty the unit. I certainly understand your desire to keep riding the bike in the meantime (I'm the same way.) I can't wait to get my bike fixed. It was creaking BAD on my ride today.

Twinning

by Twinning

This happens to me too from time to time and tightening the rear skewer helps this noise. If it is the same noise that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'm not too sure the rear skewer is at fault here. It's definitely a click that emanates from the BB area and only when out of the saddle, and once per crank revolution no matter what gear I'm in. Was on a 30 mile run the other day and it was silent for the first 20 miles then suddenly appeared. Has been getting worse ever since.

Yeah I remember reading that if the bearings are replaced you void the warranty. You can definitely replace them OK, but to be honest I don't have time to send the unit off, wait for a warranty replacement etc. I can pick up a new bearing for £15 ish, so I can only hope that Praxis might help me out with that cost somewhat. If it ends up not being that dodgy bearing that's at fault I'm going to have to go down a different route anyway.