Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL discontinued?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

"Depending on terrain I prefer heavier wheels....."

Sure, if they have some aero properties. But even then, light and aero is best.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bombertodd wrote:These are lighter, cheaper, more aero. http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_30.php

If you're looking for aero, check out an aero helmet. You'll save more drag with a helmet than wheels.

Ok. I was hoping the link would take me to a pair of sexy, all carbon, deep dish, and wide rimmed wheelset all for less than $1,200. I wasn't expecting to see a pair of aluminum 24mm wide x 30mm deep wheels.

As for the aero helmet, could you show me a link of a helmet that would go well with a set of non-aero wheelset :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Although heavier than the Cosmic Carbone SL, which isn't light, but more aero is the Flo 60 and 90. Or you can check out a few of the Chinese carbon clincher sellers. Carbon Cycle, Light Bicycle, Hongfu, and a few others sells sexy carbon wheels for a lot less than your budget. You could even buy some rims only and have them laced up to some nice hubs like White Industries or Tune and still be under budget. Also check out Novermber bikes. They make the Rail wheelset which has been getting great reviews and it's just above the top of your budget, but might be worth the extra money.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Flo 60 or 90 would put me back to square one. I want to save at least 100g from 1750g. without breaking the bank. The Chinese rims are appealing however they wouldn't be ideal for the hilly terrain where I live. The alu/carbon rim has merit and the perfect rim doesn't exist yet. I'm hoping Mavic could shave some grams in the next iteration on the CC. I find the CC SL to be extremely stiff as is. A little weight savings on the rim would be nice.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Discussing aero and Mavic in the same thread is laughable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

gitsome

by gitsome

In 1984 terms, Mavic is very aero and light
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

btompkins0112 wrote:Discussing aero and Mavic in the same thread is laughable.

You've seen the data for the CXR80, right?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Mavic_Wi ... _2991.html

But I forgot, it's de rigueur to slate Mavic...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I wish the CXR series were cheaper. I'd love a set of 60's for the road bike.

pdlpsher1 wrote: I want to save at least 100g from 1750g. without breaking the bank. The Chinese rims are appealing however they wouldn't be ideal for the hilly terrain where I live.

I've never been to Loveland or even Colorado, but are the descents twisty with a bunch of sharp turns? If the hills are just long high speed descents with out much braking I'd get a pair of Chinese rims.

gitsome

by gitsome

CXR80 (by those stats) only seems to distinguish itself at the widest possible wind-angles otherwise its totally same as al the rest and almost 2200g by Mavics own claim which probably means over 2200....? Whats the big whoop?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bombertodd wrote:I've never been to Loveland or even Colorado, but are the descents twisty with a bunch of sharp turns? If the hills are just long high speed descents with out much braking I'd get a pair of Chinese rims.

You should come visit us. I live by the foothills of the Rocky Mountains at 6,000 ft. elevation. It's a cycling paradise. 8% sustained climbs are quite common here. For example, I live next to the Pinewood Reservoir climb. It gains 1,258 ft. in 3.0 miles for an average gradient of 8.0%. I do this climb several times a week, on my regular bike and on a tandem. Here's the Strava link to the climb http://app.strava.com/segments/638603

The most famous climb with a twisty descent is the Flagstaff climb in Boulder. To be honest I have only driven up the climb. It was featured in the Pro Challenge cycling race two years ago. It gains 1,978 ft. in 4.6 mi. for an average gradient of 8.0%. It has over two dozen turns. Here's the Strava link http://app.strava.com/segments/626263

The Flagstaff climb was used in numerous brake and carbon wheel tests

http://www.eecycleworks.com/VNJune%20BrakeTest.pdf

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/a ... now-41027/

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

gitsome wrote:In 1984 terms, Mavic is very aero and light

If I'm living in a cave so are the rest of the pro riders. It seems to me most pro racers are using either Mavic or Shimano.

Could you give me some examples of fast wheels by 2014 standards?

gitsome

by gitsome

Enve, Zipp, Reynolds even Hed are posting better numbers as far as aero at considerably lighter weights and equal or lower prices.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

gitsome wrote:CXR80 (by those stats) only seems to distinguish itself at the widest possible wind-angles otherwise its totally same as al the rest and almost 2200g by Mavics own claim which probably means over 2200....? Whats the big whoop?

From Velonews:

"The wheelset without tires weighs 1,630 grams and is 2,170 grams with the Mavic CX01 blade and Yksion CXR Griplink front and Powerlink rear tubular tires installed."

gitsome

by gitsome

Ok, Mavic website listed weight as 2170 didnt mention tires as far as I saw. Better...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

pdlpsher1 wrote:
gitsome wrote:In 1984 terms, Mavic is very aero and light

If I'm living in a cave so are the rest of the pro riders. It seems to me most pro racers are using either Mavic or Shimano.

Could you give me some examples of fast wheels by 2014 standards?

Pros get paid to ride wheels.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk