Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL discontinued?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I know this is WW but I don't race. I'm riding these wheels and I'm finding them to be a good compromise for my style of riding. The Mavic website no longer shows this wheel. I'm wondering if this wheel is gone forever or will Mavic have something similar replacing it. And does anyone know what contributes to the weight difference between the CC SLE and the CC SL? The Mavic website lists lighter and butted spokes on the SLE. However I don't think spokes along would explain the 100+ grams weight difference. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

Mavic now offers the Cosmic Carbone SLS to replace the discontinued SL.

The weight difference between the SL and SLE is mostly in the hubs. The new SLS is essentially the SLE without the Exalith braking surface.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks. I see the Ksyrium SLS listed on the website but not the CC SLS. Did Mavic also pull the SLS from the product line? I have the SL and I believe it's identical to the SLS. There's over 100g. of weight difference between the SL/SLS and the SLE. So spokes and hub could explain the weight diff. However 100g. is a lot of savings. I'm interested in the SLE as I would save about 130g. over the current SLs that I have.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

http://www.mavic.us/wheels-road-fast-li ... s?mobile=1

The SLS clearly has different hubs when compared to the SL.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks. That would explain some of the weight savings. My SL's come in at 1750g. With updated hubs and spokes a weight is 1620g. for the SLE is plausible. I would like to know the real weight of the SLE (it's not in the WW listing). It also appears that all three wheels (SL, SLS, SLE) have identical rims. I'm hoping Mavic would find a way to shave more weight from the rim.

For some reason the SLS is not listed under the Mavic 'Road and Triathlon' page http://www.mavic.com/wheels/road-triathlon#

User Name

by User Name

pdlpsher1 wrote:Thanks. That would explain some of the weight savings. My SL's come in at 1750g.

It's weight weenie-ism that's killing off these wheels, and it's ridiculous, because 1750g isn't heavy. It's crazy, don't ya reckon? :thumbup:
People are being conditioned to think that anything over 1600g is heavy, and that 200g or 300g makes a difference in a set of wheels, when it doesn't.
Ah well, the benefit is that the "old" SLs can be bought for decent prices now.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I would love to own a set of aero wheels that weighs 1550g. however I can't get over the $2700 price tag. A riding lawn mower only costs $1000 at the local home improvement center. No wonder so many are flocking to the Chinese rims!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

1700 grams, 16/20 spokes, narrow rims! Ouch!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bombertodd wrote:1700 grams, 16/20 spokes, narrow rims! Ouch!

1350 grams, 16/20 spokes, wide rims, $3,500! Ouch!

If I only have $1,200 to spend what other options do I have in an aero and light wheelset?

User Name

by User Name

Yeah, "ouch" Nothing!!!! The old Cosmics tested almost as aero as the "old" 404s on the Great Wheel Test. They are legendary wheels. :thumbup:
Having said that, I've never owned any. I went through a period of being over 85kg, and the thought of 16 spokes messes with my head.

As I said, 1700g isn't heavy. I often race on my 2.1kg DT/Shimano wheels, and I never notice any difference between them and my 1650g wheels. In fact, the DTs often feel faster coz they're super-stiff.

What about 1500g? Is that ok? 200g is nothing.
This is one of my party tricks: a friend of mine was shopping around for wheels a while ago on the 'net. When he saw the weights of each wheel-set, he would screw his nose up at wheels around 1650g -- he'd say something like: "hmmm, I dunno; a bit heavy" -- then he'd get excited about wheels around 1500g: "ooh, nice. 1500g...light."

So, the next time I went to his house I brought over 2 packets of 100g potato chips and threw them on his lap. As he held one in each hand, I said: "there's your 'big' 200g weight difference!" He replied: "Oh my god, this is nothing."

Ha

bombertodd

by bombertodd

pdlpsher1 wrote:
1350 grams, 16/20 spokes, wide rims, $3,500! Ouch!

If I only have $1,200 to spend what other options do I have in an aero and light wheelset?

These are lighter, cheaper, more aero. http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_30.php

If you're looking for aero, check out an aero helmet. You'll save more drag with a helmet than wheels.

@ User Name, the Great Wheel Test should be called the poor wheel test. Without drag at various yaw angles the data is useless (unless there is absolutely no wind when you ride).

DMF

by DMF

200 grams rotating at high velocity in a large radius ia no longer 200 grams. Get your physics sorted. And because you personally can't tell the difference, it doesn't mean its not there. It just means your senses aren't very fine tuned and a lot of other people will actually pick out that difference in a heart beat.

That said, I love my 1380g rear wheel with my 950g front wheel (weight w/o skewers, rim tape, cassette, tires/tubes).

gitsome

by gitsome

A few hundred g's on wheels is very noticeable to me, my sub 1100g 45's are quite different from my 404C's...not a deal-breaker but quite noticeable.

Ive always wondered at these Mavic wheels, they were SO EXPENSIVE considering their weight and all the other options at the same or less cost that offered better, more advanced aerodynamics, lower weight and easy repairability... these were always such a black sheep in the high-end-but-not-Lightweight category of wheels its no wonder they are discontinued to me, I always wondered who would buy them...good-looking but the numbers just didnt make sense.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

The weight difference was noticeable for me when I switched from 1400g wheels to 1500...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Depending on terrain I prefer heavier wheels.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk