My next bike. SL3 or SL4?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Iamspecialized

by Iamspecialized

I've been riding an specialized allez for a couple years and I want to upgrade. I have a chance to buy a used 2011 s-works sl3 with less than 2000 miles on it with full sram red and krysium sl for $2300. Or do I buy a brand new specialized sl4 elite 105 for $2600+tax. Regardless of what I chose I will upgrade the frame in about a year to an sworks sl4 or sl5. Thanks for any advice.

tinozee

by tinozee

just fyi, the geometry is a tad different between those models. I'd take the s-works sl3 though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ophiravina

by ophiravina

sl3 with sram red is better

Voye

by Voye

SL5!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

3rd'ed

I'd wait and get the sl5

53x12

by 53x12

I would go SL3 myself. Would skip SL4 personally. I would also wait for more information on the newly revealed SL5, but my guess is the SL5 won't offer too much of an improvement (maybe it will if you are at extremes of frame size?). I was disappointed by why Specialized revealed in the SL5. Just remember newer isn't always better (as SL4 shows). Sometimes newer takes a step back and/or changes are so minimal they don't really justify price increase.

I'd take a SL3 S-Works with SRAM Red over a SL4 Elite any day if the week. I personally would skip the upgrade to the SL5 and just add a Allez to the quiver for bad weather and crit races. Just my $0.02.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

What's wrong with the sl4?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

SL3 seems to be a better way. I would think going from a SL4 to a SW SL4 is going to be little difference, not enough that I would see [except for the weight]. Going from a SL4 to the newest version would be a small improvement.

Having a nice frame with 105 parts is just weird.

53x12

by 53x12

shoopdawoop wrote:What's wrong with the sl4?

Not sure I ever said there was anything "wrong" with the SL4. I just thing the SL3 is a better frame from my time riding the two. In addition, I would rather take a SL3 S-Works frame over a SL4 Elite frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And, he's looking to buy the newest version next year.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Get the SL3 with nice parts over the SL4.
I really liked my SL3, but my current SL4 is an excellent bike.
You can't go wrong with either.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

On the new Tarmac (which apparently isn't the SL5 :roll: ), if you're on a 56, the SL4 is basically the same performing bike in most respects, and the 54 SL4 is actually even stiffer. It's the smaller and bigger sizes that have been adjusted for stiffness, steering, and compliance relative to the SL4.....but the SL3 is still a great bike from everything I've heard and if you're gonna be possibly breaking and having to replace it, I'd just get an SL3.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

What's wrong with Allez? Yes, Tarmac offer refined road feel, negligebly stiffer for those who can dance on pedals at 1200+ watts.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com