Giro Prolight SLX vs SLX2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wsuhoops

by wsuhoops

Is there any difference in the shoe other then colors? Thanks.

n808

by n808

Sorry, I cannot answer your question, but I have read reviews to compare myself.. I have been considering getting a pair of Prolight SLX (2012 model) as they are 1/3 the price of SLX2... Very tempting, 200gr saved, compared to my current Mavic shoes.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

In case anyone else is interested in these shoes. I ended up buying a pair, but they are sadly completely useless. They fit me well, and are light, but Giro decided to save so much weight they cut the velcro straps so short the upper strap simply cannot be closed... I find it hard to believe they have sold many of these, and no wonder they are on sale.

I did read in a review of the new model, that they have made the velcro fasteners longer, but I really did not think they were this short to begin with.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

eric

by eric

The old model SLX velcro straps are the perfect length for me.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Fine for me too, in fact with my skinny feet the end of the straps overlap the loop part of the velcro on the shoe enough that I've been tempted to trim 5mm off with scissors.

Personally I found the Factor to be a very good shoe from the start. The Pro-Light has a lot less padding (and I think a slightly less stiff forefoot) which means they take a bit of breaking in. Wasn't all that impressed when I first got them but now that they're softened up they're great shoes.

n808

by n808

I have average width feet, size 43.5, but I must have a taller than average arch where the upper strap is then. I have no issues with my other 3 pairs of cycling shoes, Shimano, Mavic and Scott, so the Giro upper strap is on the short side.

If I take the sole out, and use my thinnest socks, I can make the strap catch on, but it's not a solid lock. After more carefully trying them out, they are also too long (they were out of 43.5, these were 44), so I have to return them regardless. Thanks for the feedback.

deek

by deek

racingcondor wrote:Fine for me too, in fact with my skinny feet the end of the straps overlap the loop part of the velcro on the shoe enough that I've been tempted to trim 5mm off with scissors.

Personally I found the Factor to be a very good shoe from the start. The Pro-Light has a lot less padding (and I think a slightly less stiff forefoot) which means they take a bit of breaking in. Wasn't all that impressed when I first got them but now that they're softened up they're great shoes.

I agree with all of this. The upper was pretty stiff at first and kind of hit my ankle in an uncomfortable way, but after a few weeks they softened up and are totally great.

I also had to cut off nearly an inch off of my straps because they are so long. I think that I have skinny feet though. I tried some Mavic Huez shoes and I couldn't even tighten the velcro down tight enough. What's odd is that the straps on my Giro Privateers (MTB shoes) are pretty much perfect.

For reference, my size 45.5 shoes weighed 465.2g for the pair.

ITTY

by ITTY

I have the original SLX in size 41 and I agree that the velcro straps are way too short, although I have pretty porky feet and ankles. After about a month of break-in they are a little easier to get the top straps secure, and a lot more comfortable.

I bought the originals based on the same criteria n808 mentioned. As far as I can tell, the SLX 2 hasn't changed much, and the old ones are a great deal right now.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

n808

by n808

I might try the Giro Factor 2014 instead - just a little heavier, with a buckle, pricier, but there's a good Memorial Day sale.

UncleJamsArmy

by UncleJamsArmy

I have the Giro Prolight SLX II in size 45.5. I have what I consider a low volume, medium to high arch foot. I had to trim the middle straps at the second line up (they seem to have lines where you should cut). I might cut even more, as the middle strap is way too long, IMO. Great fitting shoe, however.

n808

by n808

Yes, I read they made the straps longer with the SLX II. Way better to have them too long than too short though...!

n808

by n808

So I got my new Giro Factor ACC 2014 shoes to replace the failed Prolight SLX purchase, but was very disappointed. Claimed weight is 240gr for 42.5, while my size 43 weighs 295gr, hardly any lighter than my old Mavics. Half a size does not weigh 55gr.

They fit me well though, and white matte + black looks nice. Too bad about the weight. Had it matched what Giro claims, I would have been one happy customer.

I returned a Giro Prolight helmet earlier this year. It weighed a lot more than Giro claimed as well.

Lewis

by Lewis

I guess they did away with the ratchet strap to save weight on this shoe? Personally prefer that to velcro straps...
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

eric

by eric

For those who like the old SLX Jenson is selling 2012 models at about 1/3 the original list price.

n808

by n808

Yes, I got the ones I tried for even cheaper, $109. They are up $119 now. I really wish the upper strap had been 1cm or 2cm longer. I am not going to pay $250 more for the updated SLX II with that 1cm added...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com