Mad Fiber or Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chrisMelb

by chrisMelb

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for a set of light weight carbon wheelset but I can't decide whether I should get Mad Fiber or Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheels.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lee16

by lee16

Not sure about Mad Fiber but look into Zipp wheels. I have the 303's and they are pretty light.

cervik

by cervik

chrisMelb wrote:Hi to all,

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for a set of light weight carbon wheelset but I can't decide whether I should get Mad Fiber or Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheels.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Depends on what kind of terrain will you ride. I have Ultimates - very very low inertia and hence very useful for shorter races with changes of pace - attacks, short hills. Races on circuits with cross winds - very good begaviour in cross wind and super stiff - which could be also advantage on shorter races.

On the other hand Mads will be better on rolling sections. Mads will be definitely better for triathlons or time trials - or any other ride with steady speed. Maybe for marathons where steady pace and long term endurance play role.

For classic road race i thing Ultimates are better - most universal wheelset (with Zipps 303). Very good performance uphill withoud aerodynamic penalty.

From purely practical point of view Ultimates are perfect wheelset (not consider repairability). If you want to look on details - steel freehub body on sych type of wheels is nonsense....

chrisMelb

by chrisMelb

Thanks to all have replied, especially Cervik - very insightful.

I am looking for an all rounder, so I think CCU is a better choice.

jooo

by jooo

Why would the CCU's be a better all rounder?

The MF's have much much better 'hubs' and still weigh less :thumbup:

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Earlier this year, I raced against a guy on Mad Fiber wheels. They looked good but they were ridiculously loud. I always knew exactly where he was during the race. I'm not sure if it was just his wheels or all of them.

sawyer

by sawyer

cervik wrote: From purely practical point of view Ultimates are perfect wheelset (not consider repairability). ..

LOL - from a practical point of view aside from repairability? For all the CCU's positive attributes, "practical" might be the wrong word here. Only one wheel can be trued and replacement of many parts is impossible or difficult.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

thechad

by thechad

chrisMelb wrote:Thanks to all have replied, especially Cervik - very insightful.

I am looking for an all rounder, so I think CCU is a better choice.

Hi Chris,

Did you choose a wheelset? I'm hoping it's not appropriate to post this here...but I have a set of the CCU's (very light use) that will be for sale at a very good price:)

!

Chad

Cammy

by Cammy

I have a pair of Mad Fiber's and they are pretty quiet.. Except when you corner hard or accelerate out of the saddle leaning the bike a lot; I love the sound though!
As for the Mavic's having 'low inertia' the MF's are going to be 100+ grams lighter with a lot of that being around the rims due to their unique construction making speed changes in a race better. I can guarantee that you wouldn't be disappointed with Mads!

Johnny_Yutah

by Johnny_Yutah

Tom Danielson and C. VdV will ride CCU for the Montréal race but many pros from others teams asked me questions about the Mad Fiber wheels.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76096&start=450

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Bit of a grave dig but have the same question.

Narrowed down my choices to a set of MadFibre (Clincher), Mavic CCU (Tubular) also the possibility of Lightweight Milenstein (tubular) but I have a set of Ventoux and always like to try new things. Wanting a set of deeper profile wheels for undulating road races, some climbing but its not the alps and the longer climbs would be all of about 15mins at a lower gradient. If I love the wheels I could use them for crits but I tend to use cheaper wheels for those races and slightly deeper at the moment a set of Dura Ace C50's that I picked up second hand.

All are about the same price and in reasonable condition. I am a heavier rider and have a decent kick, though I prefer to try for the breakaway rather than the sprint so wheels that hold speed with a high level of stiffness are appreciated. Any heavier riders have any recommendations? These are just what is available to me at this stage, happy to hear other suggestions that might be useful as well.

Cheers

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I wouldn't touch the mad fibers with a 10 foot pole.
The clinchers are flawed prone to delamitaion and they are well and truly outa business. Buying them is throwing your money away.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Great thanks for the info - haven't really heard much about MadFibre wheels except that they are pretty bombproof which appeal to me. I wasn't that concerned with them being out of business as buying second hand I wouldn't have warranty and there aren't that many parts that would need to be replaced on them over time.

That might help narrow it down ever further, to just the one option :thumbup:

ichobi

by ichobi

Given that they are already out of business, even if you need replacement for small parts, you can't. In long term, other wheels are probably a better choice than mad fiber. IMHO even at its current 2nd hand price, I would buy other brands. 2 of my friends who bought the last gen have nothing good to say about them, well may be except the look.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com