Anyone removed Fulcrum rim stickers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi
Recently aquired some 2010 Fulcrum racing zero clinchers with the intention of removing the rim stickers. On close examination it appears that in one section the stickers cover the joint in the rim. The line of the joint is fairly easy to make out through the stickers. Has anyone removed Fulcrum stickers and uncovered this joint? - in short, what does it look like - an eyesore or barely visible? Photos really appreciated
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I removed the stickers, and never felt there was an issue.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

fireball05

by fireball05

If they are the same on my 09 racing 1s, then it is barely visible. You'd have to be really really searching for it to see it.

If you take off the stickers, I highly recommend getting a 3M pinstripe removal tool. Available at Napa, it's like $30, you chuck it into your drill and it takes off stickers, pinstriping, etc. Super quick and easy.

http://kustomaccessories.com/07498-3M-S ... ce=froogle

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

fireball05 wrote:If you take off the stickers, I highly recommend getting a 3M pinstripe removal tool.

I've never heard of those before or seen them used, so I found a couple of demos at YouTube.
Using the 3M Stripe Off Wheel (eraser wheel) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKN5_UfDik
Using an erazer (eraser) wheel to remove stripes from a boat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbxq7qvCAXI
Removing vinyl pinstripe on Vanagon with eraser wheel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLoGehgddE

boysa

by boysa

Huh???

I have the '08 Zero's and simply peeled the stickers off with my fingers.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Just peeled the stickers off - rim joint is barley visible as you said - thanks for the assistance.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by 0302

I removed the stickers on my Campy wheels and also not an issue with the rim joint.

Zak

by Zak

How did you guys remove the glue afterwards?

boysa

by boysa

I don't recall there being any glue to speak of. If there was, I probably used alcohol or acetone.

tarz

by tarz

hey dado I was thinking of doing exactly this to the same pair of wheels,
could you possibly post a few pics of the finished result with your bike so we can all see how it looks?
Is this for the BMC????

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Zak wrote:How did you guys remove the glue afterwards?

One of the best ways to remove sticker goo is to use an n-Heptane based product like Bestine Solvent & Thinner, un-du or "Borup Rense Benzin" as a Danish n-Heptane product is called.
It's much better than e.g. rubbing alchohol that just smear the residue around, where n-Heptane cuts it immediately, without damaging auto and bike paint finish. n-Heptane products are acid free and doesn't strip paint or melt plastic.

Image Image Image

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi Tarz
No problems - just waiting for the tyres and green Swisstops and they will be on the BMC very soon - will get you some pics ASAP
I used the orange-based citrus sticker remover to remove the few bits of residual sticker adhesive but acetone would have probably have been faster.

MrRedRaider

by MrRedRaider

My sister owns a sign shop and we work with vinyl graphics and all sorts every day, we always use 3M adhesive remover and then clean with denatured alcohol. That wheel tool looks pretty cool, may give that a whirl.

fireball05

by fireball05

boysa wrote:Huh???

I have the '08 Zero's and simply peeled the stickers off with my fingers.

On my Racing 1s I tried just peeling them off by hand and had no luck. Switched to the 3M wheel and it made quick work of the job. After the 3M wheel I just dabbed a rag in adhesive remover and finished it up. Works very nicely.

Incidentally the 3M wheel turns the stickers to dust, so I was not able to pile up the pieces of the sticker on the scale to find out the incredible weight savings that removing 4(!!!) stickers per wheel must have realized.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

fireball05 wrote:Incidentally the 3M wheel turns the stickers to dust, so I was not able to pile up the pieces of the sticker on the scale to find out the incredible weight savings that removing 4(!!!) stickers per wheel must have realized.

Instead you could just put the wheels on the scale before and after sticker removal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com