HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 am 

I apologize if this has been covered before (I indeed have searched, but may have missed it...)

I really do not like the bulkiness of the shimano's R600 handlebar switch. Just too big...

With the old 7970 DI2, I did splice the sprinter switches. That way I can have a switch on the drop and on the top of the handle bar on each side. Has anybody tried splicing the r610 to do the same on the new etube version? I do not know if splinter switches have circuits in them (similar to the other components) that would mess something up... :noidea:

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 pm 

Lots of effort-http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124788

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:31 am 

i think we are talking about two different things. i just want to splice two r610s together so that i can place one in the bar and the other one on the drop. did it on 7970. it was a beauty...

i can do the same in the 9000 but i do not want to screw up the entire system.

btw, etube project sw asks if r610 are connected on the system or not. it lets me believe that there may not be any hw circuit on the r610s...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:25 am 

Is it possiable to add a Alfine S705 Di2 Shifter Switch better than the bad-designed R600?
I can never find a best position of R600 on my K-wing bar.

IMO, the R600 buttons should stay more closer to the handlebar, or
position like this(SW7970) :

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:48 pm 

What shift levers do you have?

With 6870 and 9070, there is a 3rd port in the lever for sprint shifters. Shimano says that you need their component but it isn't true.

You can cut a standard e-tube cable in half and splice on the Cateye buttons. However, each lever port controls only one action of the RD. Left shifter sprint button shifts up the cassette, right shifter sprint button shifts down the cassette.

You can splice multiple buttons on the same side as all you need to do is complete the circuit. I wanted two points of shifting on the right (just one on the left). Both the right buttons do the same thing (shift down the cassette).

Last edited by aerogurl on Fri May 16, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 am 

Great job, aerogurl.

Do you mean we can plug the standard e-tube plug directly into the sprinter port? I just thought they have different plug.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:20 pm 

Correct. Standard e-tube plugs fit in the "sprint shifter port" of 6870 and 9070 shift levers. The "brains" are in the shift lever, the sprinter port simply functions as a remote button.

If you cut a e-tube wire in half, strip the insulation off, plug it into the sprinter port, and short the wires together, you get a RD shift. Which "direction" the RD shifts depends on which lever you plug in to.

Splice on a momentary switch (Cateye buttons work great but there are heaps of options) and you have remote shifting where ever you desire.

I've been considering something like these momentary membrane buttons for a TT cockpit setup but haven't made much of an effort beyond buying the buttons and wiring up a test arrangement. They actuate the shifts just fine, but the "stickers" need a flat surface on which to mount in order to function properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 am 

I've finally stopped worrying too much and spliced two r610s on each side. Now I have two sprinter shifters (one on the drop and one on top of the handle bar.)
It looks like the r610 buttons are simply click buttons so I've just wasted $160 for a new set of r610s. I should have used simple buttons :-(
Nonetheless, I really like this config better then 610s on the drops and 600 on the handlebar (btw, on a second bike, I have a "caseless" 600 on the handlebar. It is not that bad...)

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 am