Cleaning your cycling bottles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

For the record, I happily and regularly use the top shelf of my dishwasher. I've melted bottle openings on the lower / bottom rack, which effectively makes them leak like nobody's business.

Yes, my Purist lids don't last nearly as long as the bottles. I recently bought a stash of lids directly from Speci, which wasn't cheap but I'm kinda partial to a number of my bottles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I just rubbed a bit of canola oil on my hard to open Purist nozzles and now they open like new.

uraqt

by uraqt

@Johnny Rad

Can you share you experience getting the tops from Spec? I was thinking about bulk buying Purist hydroflow bottles but you have to call and I never followed through....

C

Rick

by Rick

Baby bottle brush; hot water with mild soap; rinse; rinse with vinegar; rinse again.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Am I missing something here? I just hand wash mine when doing the other dishes. Rinse out the bottle and job done. I don't poke anything into the bottle. Been doing it that way for years and never had any issues!

Rick

by Rick

Probably depends on what you typically put in your bottles and what the climate is like.
I have had some pretty weird scum grow in there.

In fact, if you rub your finger on the inside of a bottle that looks "clean", you might get a surprise.

uraqt

by uraqt

FYI,

Spec Purist bottles can't be scrubbed : )

C

uraqt

by uraqt

Johnny, I used the Soma bottle with a Spec lid for a few years, until I tried the Purist Hydroflo....

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product ... ter-bottle

looks like they changed the lid, but there is no way it's as good as the Spec one..

The idea was that I would buy the Crystal Polypropylene Water Bottle in bulk and throw them a way but use the Spec lid.... however no vendor would sell me a sample Bottle. In bulk the Crystal Polypropylene Water Bottles are about $2.00 each...

It kills me to pay $11/12 for Hydroflo but it's the best bottle I have found, and they really stay clean...

C

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Rick wrote:Probably depends on what you typically put in your bottles and what the climate is like.
I have had some pretty weird scum grow in there.

In fact, if you rub your finger on the inside of a bottle that looks "clean", you might get a surprise.

Suppose that's true. At the moment I only ever have water in my bottles, something I should probably look into. Living in Scotland we don't exactly have a tropical climate so that's probably why I'm getting away with just rinsing.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Thanks joestralia, the white vinegar tip seemed to help. I soaked the bottom third of the bottle (where the gray-green scum was growing) in pure vinegar overnight and then used bottle scrubber with dish soap. There was still some growth left so I shoved a sponge with a scrubber side into the bottle and used the bottle scrubber to rub the scrubby sponge around. Now it looks clean. We'll see if the scum returns. Odd that I have two identical bottles and it's only been a problem in one of them, but I suppose a spore got in there and decided to create its own ecosystem.

project3

by project3

is Steriliser Tablets as good as white vinegar?

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I use denture cleaning tablets, I fill the bottle with hot water and drop in two tablets, let it sit for 5 minutes and then rinse.
This has worked with all different types of bottles used with several different kinds of drink mixes

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I just don't understand what is so complicated about this. I put mine in the dishwasher every time I am done using them. I ut the cap open where I know it will get hit with water nozzles from the dishwasher. Not an issue. Have a wire brush for those very hard to get spots if I ever need one. When in doubt, fill it with water and bleach, shake, and let sit for a while. Rinse and done. have never had an issue in decades. I had some of the camelback bottles and always took off the cap and nipples. You do know everything on the cap comes apart and washes easily, right? I all goes back together just as easy too.

boysa

by boysa

Store them in the fridge after cleaning. Makes a world of difference.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com