Cleaning your cycling bottles

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jfl
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:48 pm

by jfl

NiFTY wrote:What on earth do you think will happen if a bit of mould grows inside? Those of you are the germaphobes who have given all your kids allergies that barely existed 50 years ago. Its mould - learn to deal.
I can only speak from my own experience but a couple of years ago I went for a long ride and felt sick during the night and was then off work for a week. After a second week recovering I went for another long ride and felt sick again the following night. Full week off work again. My MD I no answer so I thought about inspecting my bottles. In one I had used both rides there was black residue in the bottom. I binned that bottle and since then I'm very particular about cleaning my bottles and never gotten sick again. Might be a coincidence but I don't think so.

Sent from my LIFETAB_P970X using Tapatalk


User avatar
Conza
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:28 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact:

by Conza

jfl wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:47 am
NiFTY wrote:What on earth do you think will happen if a bit of mould grows inside? Those of you are the germaphobes who have given all your kids allergies that barely existed 50 years ago. Its mould - learn to deal.
I can only speak from my own experience but a couple of years ago I went for a long ride and felt sick during the night and was then off work for a week. After a second week recovering I went for another long ride and felt sick again the following night. Full week off work again. My MD I no answer so I thought about inspecting my bottles. In one I had used both rides there was black residue in the bottom. I binned that bottle and since then I'm very particular about cleaning my bottles and never gotten sick again. Might be a coincidence but I don't think so.
Sounds like you needed House :lol: . Well done though. Glad to hear you figured it out.

Image
It's all about the adventure :o .

by Weenie


User avatar
853guy
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:48 pm

by 853guy

Variation on a theme:

Add apple cider vinegar, hot (but not boiling) water and a table spoon of baking soda to bottle. Add cap. Shake vigorously. Leave overnight. Rinse with fresh water. Air dry. Place clean, air-dried bottle in freezer overnight.

Repeat above process.

Freezing won’t kill bacteria, but freezing, thawing and re-freezing can.
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 15.18.48.png
Also, apple cider vinegar has been scientifically proven to have anti-viral, anti- fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-septic properties and will not kill you if ingested. Bleach will.

Best,

853guy

Delorre
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

853guy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:41 pm
Also, apple cider vinegar has been scientifically proven to have anti-viral, anti- fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-septic properties and will not kill you if ingested. Bleach will.
:lol: :oops: I'm still alive, and I do use bleach overnight every 6 months. Bottles are like new after that, but I clean them a couple of times with dish soap before use.

User avatar
853guy
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:48 pm

by 853guy

Delorre wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:15 pm
853guy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:41 pm
Also, apple cider vinegar has been scientifically proven to have anti-viral, anti- fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-septic properties and will not kill you if ingested. Bleach will.
:lol: :oops: I'm still alive, and I do use bleach overnight every 6 months. Bottles are like new after that, but I clean them a couple of times with dish soap before use.
Yes. But for how much longer?

(Maniacal laugh. Maniacal laugh.)

853guy

UpFromOne
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:23 am
Location: Olympic Nat'l Park, WA

by UpFromOne

As a WeightWeenie, I use a superlight custom extra-long carbon fibre bottle brush:
Attachments
BottleBrush.jpg

Wookski
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

The lack of basic hygiene practices outlined in this thread are alarming. If there is anything resembling mould, algae, fungus or funky bacterial buildup in your bottle do not use it. I wash my bottles in soapy water immediately after every ride (including squirting soapy water through nozzle). I then wash in dishwasher (top drawer). I throw out bottles after 3 months or so (when they start becoming dull/ scratched). My bottles never smell, even after containing sugary supplements.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post