Cleaning your cycling bottles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sodac

by sodac

Soak them in vinegar overnight and rinse.

If there's black stuff soak in water and a teaspoon of bleach overnight then rinse.

too lazy to sponge wash it and my dishwasher makes the bottles taste a little plasticy.

Storing them in the fridge sounds like a good idea. will have to try throwing them in the freezer to see how many uses i can get before i need to clean them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

project3

by project3

and how many teaspoon/ cup i need to put for white vinegar?

eric

by eric

nlouthan wrote:I just rubbed a bit of canola oil on my hard to open Purist nozzles and now they open like new.

I used a bit of oil on the nozzles when I inserted them after cleaning. They go right in and the o-rings stay in their grooves.
I had some filthy Purist caps waiting until I could learn the trick. Now I can use them again.

Thanks!

springs

by springs

boysa wrote:Store them in the fridge after cleaning. Makes a world of difference.

This is what I do. Just rinse well after use, then fill with water and store in the fridge (or one in the freezer). Maybe once a month I rinse with dish detergent.

ninjaman

by ninjaman

You guys aren't thinking big enough. Just pay $99 each for your water bottles:
http://shop.camelbak.com/all-clear-bottle/d/1208

mattr

by mattr

My camelbak bladder lives in the freezer, mainly as its a bitch to clean the pipe.
No longer actually need to clean the pipe! (It's not been touched for 3 years, nothing growing in it yet)

derek

by derek

I wash them same way as I hand wash other dishes. Replacing bottles every two years. New bottles are like two euros so maybe I should replace them every year, but they don't have smell etc so two years is ok. In that time they will be pretty worn out anyways.

mattr

by mattr

I used to replace the 2 quid/Euro bottles as soon as they smelt funny after washing.
So after about 8-10 uses. Monthly pretty much.
The podium ones i do the same with, well i would if they ever started to smell. My oldest two i think I bought before i emigrated. So they'll probably be 8 or 9 years old now.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

mattr wrote:I used to replace the 2 quid/Euro bottles as soon as they smelt funny after washing.
So after about 8-10 uses. Monthly pretty much.
The podium ones i do the same with, well i would if they ever started to smell. My oldest two i think I bought before i emigrated. So they'll probably be 8 or 9 years old now.

I do the same thing. It's only a couple of euros to replace a bottle.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

dayne

by dayne

Milton baby bottle sterilizer

BRM

by BRM

Bit of lemon juice (or vinegar) in warm water with also some (baking) soda, then let in stand for a night. You make shake a few times during this period.

http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/22/home-4/

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I've used the vinegar method but actually preferand bleach if the bottle gets to the point that you have mold growing. Just a tablespoon or two of bleach, ad a half cup of water and shake and then squirt a little out the nozzle. Let it sit 5-10 minutes and then THOROUGHLY rinse a number of timesand voila, clean as a whistle...but make sure you get the bleach residue washed out. I've done this for 25 years.

project3

by project3

"Sterilizing bottles kills bacteria and other microorganisms that may be harmful to your health." - kills but not clean or wash

I tried white vinegar - 5 tables spoon, fill up the bottle and leave it overnight. I wash before adding the vinegar. It works.

aerozy

by aerozy

I have a two-headed dragon growing out of my bottle. What should I do? Cleaning once a month? Are you serious?

Buy some quality bottles that handle a dishwasher and pop them in after every ride. Job done and you'll live longer :thumbup:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

mattr

by mattr

aerozy wrote:Buy some quality bottles that handle a dishwasher and pop them in after every ride. Job done and you'll live longer :thumbup:
mattr wrote:
eurperg wrote:Weird, 8 posts and dishwasher mentioned only once?!
wouldn't touch the gunk in the nozzle.

So i don't put my quality bottles in the dishwasher. As i just have to clean the nozzles again anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com