Cleaning your cycling bottles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

How about after every ride, you wash them out with hot water, soap, and use a little scrub brush? Never had any problems with this method.

Also, new camelback bottles with the larger hole helps keeping that thing clean/mold free...so far.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I rinse with Diesel then store them in the freezer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

:shock: I have never heard of stuff growing in a bottle. I knew that there was a reason for living up north...

Camilo

by Camilo

I'd have to say I virtually never wash my water-only bottles (which is 99% of their use). If I use some sugary stuff in one, I'll give it a good shake or two with clean water and squirt a bunch of clean water through the nozzle and call it good. If I forget about the sugary stuff and it sits for a few days, yea, sure, I'll clean thoroughly (by this I mean removing the cap and placing both in the dishwasher. no more, no less) But right after a ride in which I used fresh stuff? Why is more than a quick rinse needed?

I don't know if it's an American thing (the only country I can speak for) or world-wide but geeze, people are really far too germ-phobic. What's to grow in a water bottle that touches your lips only? I can't believe the people who use disinfecting products for normal household cleaning and obsess about this sort of stuff. This attitude is ruining our normal body flora and does more harm than good in the long run.

Relax folks. If you must, worry about the stuff you touch every day which every slob you live or work with has touched with their disgusting filthy hands or sneezed on 8-)

redcard

by redcard

desperado95219 wrote:I've used the vinegar method but actually preferand bleach if the bottle gets to the point that you have mold growing...

Don't think I've ever owned a bottle long enough!

aerozy

by aerozy

This thread reminds me of one where someone asked "how often should I clean my bibs?" lol You can only laugh!

Its not just the germs from your mouth. There is germs everywhere! Once they find there way into your wet bottle they multiply like bunnies and can become a serious health hazard. And there is always the grit/$hit that come off the roads. For example Im sure most of you ride in the country side. When it rains a lot of the country water washes onto to the road. So not only animal waste/fertilizers but things like pesticides etc. This tasty stuff ends up on your bottle as well!

If the germs wont get you natural selection will :lol:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

tnc1970

by tnc1970

is there anything wrong about putting them in the dishwasher??

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Ummm...doesn't your team car provide you with a fresh supply?

Seriously though buying a new set of bottles four times a year will cost you like $80. For the amount of money we spend on our bikes, we deserve nice fresh bottles...

Kraaf

by Kraaf

think it was Tour Magazin, as it's right up their street, they had a university lab study this. I forget the different methods, but the point was the only way to keep bottles, including caps, clean was with the dishwasher. Has worked for me for years, all types of bottles.
If you can't run it at a sufficiently low temperature, too bad.
I love you guys. Seriously.

tojnom

by tojnom

Dishwasher has always worked for me. If you're washer has the option of turning off the "heat dry" feature, I'd recommend using it. Impossible to melt a bottle if it air drys.

BRM

by BRM

Kraaf wrote: I forget the different methods, but the point was the only way to keep bottles, including caps, clean was with the dishwasher.

So a dishwasher is really the ONLY way?? :roll:
A million ways to clean a bottle but the only way that works is the dishwasher?

That statement has a high level of idioticy.

BRM

by BRM

mellowJohnny wrote:Ummm...doesn't your team car provide you with a fresh supply?

Seriously though buying a new set of bottles four times a year will cost you like $80. For the amount of money we spend on our bikes, we deserve nice fresh bottles...

- New nice fresh bottles straight out a factory should be cleaned first before you are going to use them. :wink:

- In your not so bright text, the outcome would be that in 5 years time you would spend 400 dollars on bottles only . . .
(5 x 80)

:smartass:
Last edited by BRM on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Causidicus wrote:
BRM wrote:That statement has a high level of idioticy.

Sort of like your post. Further, the word is 'idiocy', not 'idioticy'.

:)
I love you guys. Seriously.

BRM

by BRM

Causidicus wrote:
BRM wrote:That statement has a high level of idioticy.

Sort of like your post. Further, the word is 'idiocy', not 'idioticy'.

I tackle the statement of a person because it's flawed.
And what are you doing here?
What is the meaning of your post here?
It's meaningless, empty and totally hollow. You really have nothing to bring in.
When you want to discuss, fine: discuss. But please stop these weird meaningless additions.

Then you think it's a good idea to set focus on spelling mistakes. Why do you have that need? (answer yourself)

You know that to take out some tension of particular words people use alternative spelling-styles like slang?

You can find the word idioticy in slang/urban dictionaries.
http://www.lingo2word.com/lingodetail.php?WrdID=132807

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com