HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 pm 

KWalker wrote:
Not true. My Ultegra di2 still needed maintenance albeit not as much as a cabled group. Usually it would have to do with rear trim as the drivetrain wore.

If a component is worn enough to warrant an adjustment on the RD, wouldn't it be better off to just replace the component? My current chain is quite worn and it'll be due for a replacement within 500mi. I still haven't had to adjust the RD for 2,000+ miles. I'm curious to find out exactly why you need to adjust the RD. My Di2 has been 100% maintenance free (other than two disconnected cables due to an installation error by my mechanic).

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm 

Was chatting to a wrench who works at a shop that has the inside track with SRAM on today's ride... he told me that the system would have a bunch of satellite shifters when it debuts a la Di2. he then got real quiet and recounted the NDA he had to sign last year when the first prototypes were sent to the shop for playing/testing...

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:23 am 

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 pm 

When going electronic, I went from a 3-month adjustment cycle (mechanical) to a 12-month adjustment cycle. That's a LOT!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:09 pm 

I would love to see conversion kits for the shifters. Make a module available that could replace the mechanical guts, thereby reducing the upgrade cost. I would happily pay for the FD/RD if I could make use of my existing Red shifters. I'd be even happier if the module fit in a 10 speed Red shifter.

I wonder if the electronic shifters will be cheaper than mechanical since all the engineering is moved to the derailleurs?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:06 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

There won't be a retrofit... Liability is to great and especially so with cycling "type" people. Really we're one of the worst customer groups to work with when it comes to expecting the world from something that weighs a few grams.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:15 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

eric wrote:
Yea, Shimano and Campy patents. A button for up and a button for down on each lever is so much more intuitive. Sram's proposed system as leaked here would suck. But maybe it's a decoy like the wires.

I shift front and rear derailleurs simultaneously all the time. A good derailleur system should be able to handle that.

Sequential would suck for road use. There's times where I want to stay in the big ring, like if a descent or flat is coming up. Yea supposedly the shifting system should handle it but judging from shimano Di2 I've observed the front shift takes much longer than the rear (and it's loud, telegraphing your move). Also my gear ratios overlap across the two chainrings, so I can select a slighly higher or lower gear by changing rings.

@showdown-
The shifter batteries appear to be coin cells in the diagrams. Of course that doesn't mean anything for production. But yea having four batteries to monitor would be a concern.

Sequential is a kick ass system for the road and front shifting is faster than mechanical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_BgmJ3a-o

I've enjoyed using it more than any other system...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:23 pm 

Nice video Charles! I need Di2 for my wife. She is the Queen of cross chaining.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:34 pm 

That's cool. Problem I see is that there are times when you want to stay in a ring instead of a front shift. You might cross chain more than ideal, but it's better to hand on to a given ring when you know you will shift back down/up the cog shortly. A rear shift is always smoother than a ring change under power.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm 

bombertodd wrote:
Nice video Charles! I need Di2 for my wife. She is the Queen of cross chaining.

LOL! I think I tell my wife to trim her front derailleur at least twice on every ride!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:02 pm 

Miller wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
With electronic shifting I could see 12 or 13 speeds on the horizon :mrgreen:

Agree that electronic would be the way to go for the necessary precision but I think there will be several factors holding back manufacturers from going in this direction. It would require an even narrower and more expensive chain with follow-on impacts all through the drivetrain: derailleur, chainsets, cassettes all would need redesign. For any manufacturer with existing groups, almost nothing in any existing drivetrain would transfer across to a higher number of gears, unlike the current situation where mechanical and electronic systems share several components.

Still, an interesting idea.
Use the powerful/direct front mech shifting and auto trimming to full advantage? Elec-tripple!! :twisted:

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9