Sram Electronic Groupo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

tranzformer wrote:Shortsocks, I wouldn't consider electronic: http://vimeo.com/33982309

Are we going to have all those same talking heads make a new video telling us how great wireless SRAM is and how connected you now feel to your bike? Sheesh. :roll:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

DMF wrote:
53x12 wrote:SRAM needs to design an EEG cap that goes on under your helmet that can pick up the electrical activity from your neurons/brain saying you want to shift gears. Have that broadcast by ANT+/BT 4.1 to the FD and RD. No need for shifters at that point. More aero and less weight. This is WW after all.

/sarc

This has already been done years ago by Parlee and the Toyota Prius group with sensors in the helmet and Di2. Seemed to work fine too. I'm just perplexed that nothing has evolved out of that since then... Seemed to be made pretty much out of stock electronics and far from complicated.

it's all on YouTube...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzdWMapJ-c

Oh nice. Guess I am a few years behind. :)
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

If this is wireless, I think they should make their groupset 10 and 11 speed compatible. Don't think that should be too hard since they're cramming all the processing into each part. This would really make a lot of people very happy!

rijndael

by rijndael

A config option for 10 or 11 speed would be great!

solarider

by solarider

I understand that the shifters work like this (so not double tap):

Right Shift - Up the rear block
Left Shift - Down the rear block
Both together - Front Shift (either way from where you are)

Seems different rather than better, and how do you dump gears front and back at once?

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

DMF wrote:
53x12 wrote:SRAM needs to design an EEG cap that goes on under your helmet that can pick up the electrical activity from your neurons/brain saying you want to shift gears. Have that broadcast by ANT+/BT 4.1 to the FD and RD. No need for shifters at that point. More aero and less weight. This is WW after all.

/sarc

This has already been done years ago by Parlee and the Toyota Prius group with sensors in the helmet and Di2. Seemed to work fine too. I'm just perplexed that nothing has evolved out of that since then... Seemed to be made pretty much out of stock electronics and far from complicated.

it's all on YouTube...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzdWMapJ-c

I am digging the iPhone/stem thing, anything like that available?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

Miller

by Miller

pdlpsher1 wrote:With electronic shifting I could see 12 or 13 speeds on the horizon :mrgreen:

Agree that electronic would be the way to go for the necessary precision but I think there will be several factors holding back manufacturers from going in this direction. It would require an even narrower and more expensive chain with follow-on impacts all through the drivetrain: derailleur, chainsets, cassettes all would need redesign. For any manufacturer with existing groups, almost nothing in any existing drivetrain would transfer across to a higher number of gears, unlike the current situation where mechanical and electronic systems share several components.

Still, an interesting idea.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

pdlpsher1 wrote:With electronic shifting I could see 12 or 13 speeds on the horizon :mrgreen:

Already here...and wireless to boot!
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/12/tis ... -unveiled/

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Try finding one.

KWalker

by KWalker

ergott wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:It might be ok since 99% of PMs are already wireless and I don't hear a movement going away from that.

Big difference between missing data from a PM and not being able to shift when you want to.

PMs have tons of data drop problems still.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

pdlpsher1 wrote:
ergott wrote:Um, as I said before. How is a mechanic supposed to work on the bike? How do you spin the crank if you need both hands to shift the gears?

Yes this would be a major challenge. On the positive side once an electronic group is dialed in it doesn't need to be worked on again :D

Not true. My Ultegra di2 still needed maintenance albeit not as much as a cabled group. Usually it would have to do with rear trim as the drivetrain wore.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

KWalker wrote:Not true. My Ultegra di2 still needed maintenance albeit not as much as a cabled group. Usually it would have to do with rear trim as the drivetrain wore.

If a component is worn enough to warrant an adjustment on the RD, wouldn't it be better off to just replace the component? My current chain is quite worn and it'll be due for a replacement within 500mi. I still haven't had to adjust the RD for 2,000+ miles. I'm curious to find out exactly why you need to adjust the RD. My Di2 has been 100% maintenance free (other than two disconnected cables due to an installation error by my mechanic).

showdown

by showdown

Was chatting to a wrench who works at a shop that has the inside track with SRAM on today's ride... he told me that the system would have a bunch of satellite shifters when it debuts a la Di2. he then got real quiet and recounted the NDA he had to sign last year when the first prototypes were sent to the shop for playing/testing...

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rma

by rma

When going electronic, I went from a 3-month adjustment cycle (mechanical) to a 12-month adjustment cycle. That's a LOT!