Sram Electronic Groupo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

I agree superdx. I use enough of those with a quarq and a few cheap lights. It's sort of a cheapo solution imo, but I am still interested in this group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Yeah I'm interested too, mainly because it would most likely work with the hydraulics that SRAM has in place. It would save me from having to buy a whole new frame + wheels if I could get hydraulic rim brakes. I have no doubt the groupset would be mad expensive, but still less mad expensive than yet another N+1 in the apartment.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

superdx wrote:I get every so slightly annoyed at 2032 batteries, they're not recyclable or rechargeable.

I hook up my Di2 battery charger to a solar battery (Solar JOOS). I make it a point to run everything on my bike on rechargeables, and solar if possible. Not much of a difference but still...

where did you hear that? CR2032 lithium are recyclable and there are rechargeables available. The non rechargeable have a capacity of around 240mAh depending which brand you get. The rechargeable have a 70mAh capacity, but you can recharge them over 500 times if you have a good batch.

Those shifters most of the time are in sleep mode and only sending a signal when you push the button. I would not be surprised if a non rechargeable 2032 lasts more than 5 years.
██

JasperGr

by JasperGr

I want to see videos of it, aargh! Otherwise I have to wait till the TDF to see it in real life.

Maybe this is why they have only one world tour team so they can focus on one team with the electro version

superdx

by superdx

ferrarista wrote:
superdx wrote:I get every so slightly annoyed at 2032 batteries, they're not recyclable or rechargeable.

I hook up my Di2 battery charger to a solar battery (Solar JOOS). I make it a point to run everything on my bike on rechargeables, and solar if possible. Not much of a difference but still...

where did you hear that? CR2032 lithium are recyclable and there are rechargeables available. The non rechargeable have a capacity of around 240mAh depending which brand you get. The rechargeable have a 70mAh capacity, but you can recharge them over 500 times if you have a good batch.

Those shifters most of the time are in sleep mode and only sending a signal when you push the button. I would not be surprised if a non rechargeable 2032 lasts more than 5 years.

Thank you, I did not know that! I have two of the 2032 for speed/cadence and it pisses me off whenever I have to throw them out. Just placed an order on Amazon.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

No problem. You can bring them any place where they take regular batteries. Just make sure to put a piece of tape that covers the + /- because you don't want them to short circuit if they are in contact with other batteries or metal. I usually put them in a plastic bag with my other batteries and bring them all at once when I have enough or sometimes I bring them at work because there is someone coming to pick up batteries for recycling.

One more thing, the rechargeable cr2032 have a higher voltage compared to the non rechargeable. 3.6v vs 3v. You always have to recharge them as a pair. the charger takes care of balancing the charge.
██

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Allison Tetrick of the Optum-Kelly Benefits Team has been posting pics riding it all winter

showdown

by showdown

One thing that I'm curious about is the possibility (or impossibility) of satellite shifters. Given that each switch needs to be self-powered each sprint shifter or climbing shifter would need a battery, presumably a CR2032. I can't imagine a sprint shifter large enough to accommodate a CR2032 being acceptable on the handlebar, perhaps it would be ok for a climbing shifter. Further, imagine having to unwrap your bars to change out the battery...

While the fluidity and precision of Di2 on my bike is really great, it's not night and day better than Dura-Ace mechanical (compared to SRAM it is a revelation, particularly the front shifting) That said, the sprint shifters are a revelation and I have a hard time imagining a racing bike without them. On my cross bike I often lament their absence. Same thing with the ability to dump/jump a whole cassette almost instantly. So for me, any grouppo that doesn't have the option of satellite shifters isn't really offering anything that can't be had on a mechanical grouppo and at that point is not worth the cost.

Rippin

by Rippin

If they did offer satellite shifters why couldn't it be connected to the main shifters on the brake levers via wire, just like Shimano? Problem solved.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

1415chris

by 1415chris

But that would be semi wireless :)

Rippin

by Rippin

ha yes...but better than not having any satellite shifters.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

KWalker

by KWalker

I rode with a few people this weekend that have the proto group on their bikes. They were coy about release dates and I overhead one say there are still some kinks to work out. I can say that it looks like shit in person, super bulky
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gospastic

by gospastic

I've seen it in person, looks pretty much the same as it does in pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

don't know about anyone else but i have had numerous problems with 2032 in HRMs