Sram Electronic Groupo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Just posted on Velonews. Photos of the new sram Electronic Drivetrain, on the Bissel Devo Team bikes a AToC

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/ ... ain_327147

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vdrey

by vdrey

One, this is awesome.

Two, I think the best part of that gallery is the opqs riders gawking at the new equipment. Maybe they are a bit jealous...

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I had a good internal chuckle over that too. A bunch of fairly unknown kids get to test out the new toys before the big name pros. It looks very promising with a bit more refinement. The junction box looks a little big (1st gen Campy-ish) and seems to be a dual wire approach from the junction box into the frame, which could easily be modified. All in it looks much more refined than the first rough prototypes we saw a few months ago. Being a SRAM rider and hopeful future employee :) I like what I am seeing.

53x12

by 53x12

I am still humored by this thread in light of what SRAM has been doing.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81977&hilit=sram+electronic

:)
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Alright someone is gonna have to set me straight, is this just a hacked Shimano system or is SRAM actually capable of designing something like this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

solarider

by solarider

2 wires entering the down tube?

Seems a bit messy vs the single wire from Shimano and Campagnolo.

Otherwise, the mechs look really compact which is great.

Nice first effort, and seems pretty close to production.

martinko

by martinko

The junction box will probably be smaller in the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lifL7Bdq_IU

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for posting that link. Image 15 is hilarious.

Really interested in how they resolve the shifter design. Still prototypes but...
  • Looks like they've done away with the floating shifter paddle. Maybe a shame. I really liked that on their mechanical shifters, loads of choice on exactly how you interact with them.
  • Really curious how well the upshift/downshift works with the single button. Press once to downshift, press button further to upshift? Press once to downshift, press and hold to upshift? Sequential: Left upshift, right downshift?
  • On really rough roads do you run the risk of accidentally upshifting when wanting to downshift. Don't get that on mechanical because of the distance you have to throw the lever.
  • No texture on the hoods?

• Assume it was an internal battery - Choice for external wiring/battery for older frames?

Oswald

by Oswald

Funny to see Boonen being asked to step behind the tape.
Also nice to see him stroll around like that. In Belgium he is flocked by paparazzi and fans. Around here his status is godlike.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

iamalex wrote:
  • Really curious how well the upshift/downshift works with the single button. Press once to downshift, press button further to upshift? Press once to downshift, press and hold to upshift? Sequential: Left upshift, right downshift?

The way how SRAM electronic should shift is written on CyclingTips.

From what I hear, the way that the shifting works is that there is one button on each of the brake levers. The left lever shifts up, the right lever shifts down (or vice versa). Press them both at the same time and the front derailleur shifts up or down. This is unconfirmed, but I’ve heard this from various sources.

This would be great for sprinting and riding in the drops. Since its easier to operate only a single button on each lever and its more natural. I have always had problems to shift when sprinting with Shimano Di2 classic button shifting setting. On the other hand I can imagine that SRAM shifting solution would irritate climbers when climbing on the tops. But if they will come up with satellite shifters, it wont matter much - but till then...

euan

by euan

I'm holding out for sequential shifting. It has been proven to work and would differentiate them from Shimano and Campagnolo

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I reckon the group will be wireless. The black block on the rear derailleur looks like a battery and or an area for the radios to sit outside of the metal body. I also doubt they would tape over SRAM branding on the levers. I think the taped over graphics relate to the wire-free nature of the group.

The shifting style mentioned above sounds awesome. I was certain 6870 was going on my next bike until today.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

^
I agree. Both derailleurs look bulky to me and there is no reason for it unless they have battery/wireless unit built. So the junction box will be battery/brain unit for both levers - which makes sense - it keeps more room for potential hydraulic brakes option. And the remaining cables are simply fake to distract us from the wireless nature of future gruppo.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

euan wrote:I'm holding out for sequential shifting. It has been proven to work and would differentiate them from Shimano and Campagnolo

In the new XTR di2 sequential shifting will be an option. You can still opt for 2 shifters but you can also do everything with just a single shifter, it just depends how you configurate it.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

When will it shift the front with the single shifter on the xtr?

If it isnt wireless and it retains the two wire design I think its a bad design. If its wireless then this will be some real innovation and will certainly put shimano and campy on their heels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com