Sram Electronic Groupo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kleinetako

by kleinetako

I would love to see conversion kits for the shifters. Make a module available that could replace the mechanical guts, thereby reducing the upgrade cost. I would happily pay for the FD/RD if I could make use of my existing Red shifters. I'd be even happier if the module fit in a 10 speed Red shifter.

I wonder if the electronic shifters will be cheaper than mechanical since all the engineering is moved to the derailleurs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

There won't be a retrofit... Liability is to great and especially so with cycling "type" people. Really we're one of the worst customer groups to work with when it comes to expecting the world from something that weighs a few grams.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

eric wrote:Yea, Shimano and Campy patents. A button for up and a button for down on each lever is so much more intuitive. Sram's proposed system as leaked here would suck. But maybe it's a decoy like the wires.

I shift front and rear derailleurs simultaneously all the time. A good derailleur system should be able to handle that.

Sequential would suck for road use. There's times where I want to stay in the big ring, like if a descent or flat is coming up. Yea supposedly the shifting system should handle it but judging from shimano Di2 I've observed the front shift takes much longer than the rear (and it's loud, telegraphing your move). Also my gear ratios overlap across the two chainrings, so I can select a slighly higher or lower gear by changing rings.

@showdown-
The shifter batteries appear to be coin cells in the diagrams. Of course that doesn't mean anything for production. But yea having four batteries to monitor would be a concern.

Sequential is a kick ass system for the road and front shifting is faster than mechanical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_BgmJ3a-o

I've enjoyed using it more than any other system...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Nice video Charles! I need Di2 for my wife. She is the Queen of cross chaining.

ergott

by ergott

That's cool. Problem I see is that there are times when you want to stay in a ring instead of a front shift. You might cross chain more than ideal, but it's better to hand on to a given ring when you know you will shift back down/up the cog shortly. A rear shift is always smoother than a ring change under power.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

bombertodd wrote:Nice video Charles! I need Di2 for my wife. She is the Queen of cross chaining.

LOL! I think I tell my wife to trim her front derailleur at least twice on every ride!

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Miller wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:With electronic shifting I could see 12 or 13 speeds on the horizon :mrgreen:

Agree that electronic would be the way to go for the necessary precision but I think there will be several factors holding back manufacturers from going in this direction. It would require an even narrower and more expensive chain with follow-on impacts all through the drivetrain: derailleur, chainsets, cassettes all would need redesign. For any manufacturer with existing groups, almost nothing in any existing drivetrain would transfer across to a higher number of gears, unlike the current situation where mechanical and electronic systems share several components.

Still, an interesting idea.
Use the powerful/direct front mech shifting and auto trimming to full advantage? Elec-tripple!! :twisted:

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

Wireless set have been seen in Tour Down Under :shock:

Anyone have fresh news ?

bfno

by bfno

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/14/sra ... r-warmups/

Looks great, hopefully it will help Sram get back on their feet as they seem to be falling behind in recent years. Suppose to be light as well!
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/14/sram-wireless-electronic-road-group-spotted-again-at-tour-down-under-warmups/ wrote:The black tail end of both derailleurs look very similar, suggesting those are the battery packs and are likely replaceable. That would be a nice feature considering team mechanics could quickly swap out batteries from the car in a pinch, assuming it’s a tool-free process.
That would provide a nice excuse for riders to get pulled along/up by the team car. Oh yes, Mr. Commissaire, my derailleur battery keeps dying, ha ha.

bungis

by bungis

bfno wrote:http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/14/sram-wireless-electronic-road-group-spotted-again-at-tour-down-under-warmups/

Looks great, hopefully it will help Sram get back on their feet as they seem to be falling behind in recent years. Suppose to be light as well!

Interesting, hints at charging ports instead of a replaceable battery.

If the price is right and it works well I'll use it on a new steel build.

ITTY

by ITTY

It seems the general consensus is that those are "latches" to hold the batteries in place rather than charging port covers. I would think removable batteries would be more convenient anyway, since you wouldn't have to park your bike next to a power outlet.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

mattr

by mattr

Just need a charging base with multiple slots somewhere in your bike room.
Front/rear mechs and shifters.

eric

by eric

The shifters use 2032s (I think that's in the patent). They only need to draw power when transmitting, unlike the derailleurs which need to use some power to run the receivers when the bike is in use.

I'm curious if they will do sequential shifting. It'd need to be programmable by the user to account for gearing and user preference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

I get every so slightly annoyed at 2032 batteries, they're not recyclable or rechargeable.

I hook up my Di2 battery charger to a solar battery (Solar JOOS). I make it a point to run everything on my bike on rechargeables, and solar if possible. Not much of a difference but still...