Orbea Orca headset options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Anyone know what headset can be used in an Orbea Orca other than the FSA Carbon one that comes as standard?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saletel

by saletel

if it is the 45 degree bearings, you can run a campy record and chorus, as well as a ritchey

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Yeah, the cartridge bearings have a 45 deg taper to them.

big fellow

by big fellow

have been using one with no worries..

which one you interested in using?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have several bikes that require hiddensets and began with the Campy Record Hiddenset, which is the 45 degree format. The Campy headset is really dissapointing. Stick with the FSA. It has sealed bearings, which makes cleaning the headset area much easier. The Campy has this ring of exposed bearings. What a dissapointment from the venerated Italian house.

big fellow

by big fellow

stoli

I have a campy one on my superlight caad 7 and I agree with you - the FSA is much much better....

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Went to my LBS last night and had a Chorus Hiddenset and a new Orca frame in my hands but the campy headset doesn't fit the orca... or doesn't seem to. Seems like the cups are 0.25mm too big to slide into the headset.

I've been using the standard FSA one that came with the frame but changed out the carbon top cap to the shorter 10mm one? vs. the standard 20mm cap... So far it looks like maybe the cap was causing the problem (headset binding and almost locking up during riding)

divve

by divve

Both the top of the line Campagnolo Record and FSA Hiddenset have loose ball bearings in a metal cage with separate seals over them.

spookyload

by spookyload

mzagorski wrote:Went to my LBS last night and had a Chorus Hiddenset and a new Orca frame in my hands but the campy headset doesn't fit the orca... or doesn't seem to. Seems like the cups are 0.25mm too big to slide into the headset.

I've been using the standard FSA one that came with the frame but changed out the carbon top cap to the shorter 10mm one? vs. the standard 20mm cap... So far it looks like maybe the cap was causing the problem (headset binding and almost locking up during riding)

You need to use those little aluminum spacers that came with the headset. I could never figure what they were for till my new 585 came. You put them under the top cup if the cup is contacting the frame. They are placed on top of the bearings if the contact is made. They are ultra thin pieces of aluminum and I mean real thin (like .005mm). It should only take one or two to do the job.I might have a few laying around. PM me your address and I will send them to ya.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Simon BP

by Simon BP

Sorry to revive this ancient topic, but I have the exact same problem as the mzagorski. I have an Orbea Orca frame of the first generation which is with 1 1/8" top and bottom bearing. But none of my 1 1/8" 45 degree Campagnolo bearings fit in the frame. They are all just a tiny tiny bit too large. It's such a small amount that it's really tempting to just sand the holes in the frame a little larger, but it's probably best to get the correct bearings in the first place I guess.. Anyone who knows what bearings I need?